Disassembled Magic Mouse and Cleaned Scroll Wheel - take that APPLE!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rmpstudio, Dec 9, 2009.

1. rmpstudio macrumors member

Maybe i'm the only one that's tired of my "nipple" scroll wheel not working but i'm sick and tired of moving that confounded thing only to find NOTHING SCROLLING!

AND NO,... i don't use my mouse while eating a handful of doritos.

My solution? DIY breakdown, disassemble, and clean. Mind you,.. i had one extra piece when it was all said and done, but who's counting, this aint a cesarian for crying out loud.

It turns out that in order to take it apart, you'll have to "break" the seal on the bottom which in turn leaves it so you can't put the bottom seal back on when your done. I didn't notice a difference in performance/usage though.

1) Using a small paperclip, i gently tore off the light gray ring around the bottom of the mouse - starting at the side buttons and working my way around like one would seal a tupperware
    2) Using a medium paperclip (still folded) i gently pryed the front part of the bottom of the mouse away from the top carriage. The back of the mouse sorta hinges so don't go yanking the back our you'll do some damage.
    3) Using a teeny tiny Philips, i removed the 3 screws holding in the "nipple".
    4) Once the black cage is removed, i find the ball incased in an ingenius little contraption. A small white plastic top gently holds the ball in place so i remove that. Once removed it reveals 4 small "spindles" about 1/2 a cm long that formed a square around where the ball was sitting. These spindles were magnetic on the ends and were gently held in place by magnetizing to a small piece of metal at each of the four sides of the square.
    5) I removed each spindel and scraped the "gunk" using a teeny tiny flat head.
    6) Once clean, i reassembled and whola. No more problems. :)

2. sheepopo39 macrumors 6502

I believe you meant Mighty Mouse ;)

But anyways, very interesting, I'll make sure to refer to this the next time mine gets stuck, very annoying.

3. rmpstudio thread starter macrumors member

aww poo. I hate it when i miss things.

Oh well.. i guess apple's marketing didn't work very well since i can't name their product :)

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah, I have also recently popped open the MM to clean the plastic rollers on there. I dont even have the bottom ring anymore on there so that I can have easy access to clean them again.

I'm starting to less like the little nipple though, it just seems really small.

5. lamadude macrumors 6502

ahh... opening a mouse to clean it, welcome to 1997! :)