Disassembling White Apple Wireless Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by haravikk, Jun 26, 2012.

1. haravikk macrumors 65816

Okay, so after nearly seven years of continual use I eventually spilled some liquid on my white Apple Wireless keyboard, which is annoying as I thought it'd only splashed the keys as I dried it off quickly, but obviously something got inside.

Anyway, it seemed fine after that until eventually I started having trouble using the Apple keys, I thought it was just a weird system glitch and shut-down for the night. This morning though I switch it on and, while it connects okay, now none of the keys work, and I can see a tiny amount of liquid inside.

While I do have a spare keyboard of the same type, it's absolutely filthy, so either way it looks like I'll need to disassemble a keyboard, but I can't find a screwdriver that will fit. I even have a set of hexagonal screwdrivers but none of them are quite small enough; I really hate how Apple seems to delight in using fittings nobody has a tool for, as disassembling a keyboard is surely bog-standard user maintenance!

What I need to know though is what type of screwdriver exactly am I looking for these keyboards? They're the older Apple Wireless keyboards made from a clear plastic tray with white keys, full-size keyboards.

2. ray648 macrumors regular

I've spilt coffee in my wired aluminium keyboard before. Since its not easy (or possible?) to disassemble these completely, I ended up soaking the whole keyboard in water to remove the coffee, then leaving it somewhere warm to dry out completely for a couple of days before plugging it in. It works fine again now. Obviously remove the batteries first if doing this with a wireless one. Also it may break it completely, especially if plugged back in with water still in it. Don't say I didn't warn you.

3. haravikk thread starter macrumors 65816

With the clear keyboard it should be easy enough to tell if it's still wet, hopefully it isn't already broken from my turning it on earlier (when I discovered the problem); it connected fine so the bluetooth chip and power can't have any trouble, must be something interrupting the signal for the keys.

Anyway, if I can't find the tool to open it properly I'll give water a try; is it okay to just submerge it when doing this, minus batteries of course?