Disassociate iPhone pre-order from carrier

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DC Hurricane, Nov 7, 2017.

1. DC Hurricane macrumors member

I preordered an iPhone X through Apple's site. I now want to sell it since I was able to secure a device at the physical store. When you typically open a phone from the preorder it will activate to my number automatically. Is it anyway to disassociate the phone from my account? I already purchased it at full price so there's no contractual piece.

2. Blondie&Dagwood macrumors 6502

Blondie&Dagwood

when you keep the SIM card that came with it in the phone, and turn it on, it will activate your line. For Verizon there is a screen in the process that does ask for the last 4 of the account holder's social and/or account pin before it activates.

As a workaround, you have two options:

1) Activate as described above. Once the phone is activated, perform a full factory reset, disable "FindMyiPhone", take out the SIM card, and then the buyer can re-activate using his/her pin.
    2) Take out the SIM card before activating the phone, and have the buyer activate with his own SIM card. Although this seems like the better answer, it doesn't protect the buyer as you can potentially report the phone as stolen and I believe Apple can still lock-out the phone. Also, I believe your account may have a pending order tagged to it for an infinite period of time that may block you from ordering a new phone until this drops off or you have your carrier remove it.

Hope it helps

3. silvernole12 macrumors newbie

I'm running into this issue now with a buyer of the phone I sold. He is asking for my area code and last 4 of my social because that is what Apple/AT&T is telling him he needs to reset it. I don't want to give him any part of my social though.

4. Moi Ici macrumors regular

Either you didn’t fully erase the phone or you’re being scammed.
    Do not give out your info! Meet him at an Apple store or carrier store and sort it out if you need.

5. Blondie&Dagwood macrumors 6502

Blondie&Dagwood

Tell him to do a full reset of the settings, turn-off the phone, take out the SIM card, insert his own existing active SIM, and then try activate it that way. Should work