disaster!!! partitioned disc no longer recognises OSX partition!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slim tim slide, Jul 10, 2008.

1. slim tim slide macrumors newbie

My G4 has a partitioned disc, running OS9.2.2 on one half and OSX 10.3.9 on the other (just upgraded from OS X 10.3 after advice from this forum that my mac would handle it, seems to have been ok til now). PROBLEM - my external CD burner is a SCSI Lacie device, and only runs from OS9.2.2, so after down loading some music via Firefox on my OSX partition I transferred the files over and burned them, done this many times before no problem BUT when i turned the CD burner off the system crashed and after force starting it from front button (this has happened before) when i now try and restart to my OSX partition the computer no longer recognises that i even have OSX or a seperate partition and describes my OS9 partition as the only drive! the icon for my other partition is no longer visible on the desktop. When OS9 does open however a window opens saying "this disc is unreadable by this computer do you want to initialize?"... i can only assume it is referring to the OSX partition BUT I am extremely wary of "intializing", after all this has never happened before and I can think of nothing new (other than the upgrade to OSX10.39) that might have caused this. by 'intializing' i may actually damage the OSx partition forever might I not??? This is a really desperate sitiuation, all my important stuff is on the OSX partition and I can't get to it! please please please can some kind soul help me remedy this????

2. karl878 macrumors member