Disaster! please help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by md42007, Oct 20, 2010.

1. md42007 macrumors newbie

Ok, so I cry as I type this. I lost my macbook and iphone 4 to a very crappy incident that involved a ton of water. I was able to recover certain files of my Macbooks Hd and luckily I recovered 1 iphone backup file. So I copied this to a flash drive. I put it on my new macbook and put it in Users/Library/mobilesync/backups but it is not showing up in itunes as a restore option for my new iphone, nor is it showing up in something like mobilesyncbrowser. Can someone please help me? I have lost all of my contact information for all of my work, its my only chance to get back sensitive information to my life. Thanks in advance.

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I'm researching this for you right now - i'll have an answer in less that ten minutes.

EDIT:
    Okay, did you place the files in "Users/Library/mobilesync/backups" like you said or "~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup" - The latter is the correct location. If you successfully recovered a full iPhone backup file it will be in a cryptically named folder, ie:"f99b669b93d67f69b51f74658f0b1fb71bceaaa4" and it will contain about 3,000 cryptically named files within. Does this sound right for what you recovered?