disaster... TEA + MBP :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by otispunkmeyer, Mar 30, 2008.

1. otispunkmeyer macrumors 6502

well id consider myself lucky that im actually typing this post on my MBP, but this morning my gf managed to knock over the biggest cup of tea ever and it mostly landed on my keyboard and on my MBP

well, ill cut to the chase,

the MBP seems to be working, all buttons work, all the ports work, track pad works, screen works, everyting seems fine.

most of the tea landed on the track pad and the first row of keys, i've let it dry off and i tried to open my MBP to get to the KB but chickened out when i couldnt get the front of the top case off

my seperate keyboard appears not to be working at all though....:( is there anyway i can open it up? theres no hint of being able to get into it tho.

saddly the KB backlighting on the MBP, basically doesnt work. its super bright in the middle, and really dim elsewhere. question....

do you think that once it properly dries out the backlighting might work again?

should i have another go at opening this thing up to properly check for stuff?

is there anyway to open the full apple keyboard?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

If it happened this morning you really shouldn't be using it now. Switch the thing off, take out the battery and leave it for a couple of days. Then see what is broken.

3. otispunkmeyer thread starter macrumors 6502

noted,

i think im gonna take the thing apart

really should i think.

again tho, i dont think it got much at all on bits that would matter. most of it went on the desk and in the apple keyboard.

i feel sorry for my gf, she knows how expensive these things are and she knocked over a full cup (these cups are easily 2x normal cups as well) and she was so upset about it. i may see how much it wil cost to get the backlighting fixed, i have apple care but understand that this isnt apples fault and are not liable to fix it free of charge.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

It's unwise to use so soon after. They usually require drying out for at least 48 hours.

If the tea had sugar in then it'll leave nasty sugary deposits and could cause problems.

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

With all electronic equipment give it ample time to dry out. I've gotten electronic items wet before and after drying them out completely they work fine. But, make sure they are DRY DRY. The last thing you want is an electric issue...

6. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

it's always the girlfriend or the partner :D
    are you sure you didn't forget any anniversary? or caught doing something you shouldn't be doing?
    :D

7. otispunkmeyer thread starter macrumors 6502

ok its all off, i have the bits that got wet drying in a warm room.

im not too miffed about the backlighting not working. the backlighting is actually on..ie all the LEDs are on, just most of them are quite a lot dimmer than the ones in the center and at the edges

anyway, its all off, batt removed, drying out.

gonna have some lunch and then i may tackle taking it all apart when my house mate gets home so he can give me a hand with it.

while im here.... i think im gonna have to replace the keyboard immediately because i have a report to type and its much more comfortable on typing on that.

if the backlighting on the MBP doesnt come back to full strength, i can put off a repair till after the report is due, but how much would i be looking at?

8. otispunkmeyer thread starter macrumors 6502

no no, we've only been dating since new year

she was trying to give me a hug when her arm clipped the cup and over it went.

good thing MBP's dont have fan vents on the bottom!

9. otispunkmeyer thread starter macrumors 6502

i cant remember whos tea she knocked... i have sugar in mine, but she doesnt... i just sampled what was left in the bottom of the cup that didnt spill and i think that one was mine because it tasted quite sweet, so figners crossed... no sugar involved.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just go to the ifixit site and use their guide to take apart the computer.

11. otispunkmeyer thread starter macrumors 6502

took it all apart, had a good look inside, logic board area was dry as a bone, CD drive was dry, HDD dry..

i completely dismantled the keyboard to its componentparts, cleaned them, dried them for a while with a heater in my room. the backlights not quite right but its hell of a lot better than before

i never knew it was only powered with 4 LED's, expected more lol

my apple keyboard revived itself as well after a couple of hours in the sun and being attacked with that heater. its fine now too!

i think i got super lucky there like! no terminal damage!

will probably just leave it now, and pry it open at a later date to sort the backlighting on the keys properly. i dont really need that feature to do my work tho so its not a priority

all the tea had evapourated and left stains, stried to get them off but theyre still visible. if only on the inside!