Disc burn error "medium write error"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mavericklevi, Jun 25, 2008.

1. mavericklevi macrumors newbie

I have an iMac G5, a Matshita burner, the latest version of iTunes, and I am using Memorex CD-Rs. I've read some forums about this problem with MacBooks, but their advice to slow down the write speed to 16X hasn't helped. I have burned many CDs using this same medium, and with this latest version of iTunes without a problem, but now I can only burn a few songs before a loud noise, rather like grinding, starts and eventually the error message: "Attempt to burn a disc failed. Burn failed due to a medium write error." pops up. Is it a software or a hardware problem?

I would appreciate any help, as I have a lot of discs to burn, and soon.

2. scrodrigue macrumors newbie

Same here....

Help! :( I have an iBook G4, Mashita burner, that is doing the exact same thing. I just bought this 50 pack of Memorex CD-R. I have had excellent success with these in the past. I noticed that they seem a bit thinner than previous blank CDs.
    I have also been getting a window each time I burn a disc that asks me if it is ok to burn, new since the last iTunes update last month. Sometimes the name of the burner is in italic and when that occurs, the disc will not burn at all. This has happened with other brands as well.