Disc Drive Problem Sometimes

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Kinxed, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Kinxed macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook and I've been having problems with my disc drive for quite a while.
    First it was really tight and wouldn't accept any discs at all. I took it to the store and they forced open the opening.... which was kind of upsetting because I could have done that myself and now there are all sorts of marks around it.
    Now the opening is tight again and it only reads discs sometimes.
    For example, I just put in a dvd and it wouldn't show up on my desktop at all (the dvd playing application opens though) but only a couple days ago it recognized at least five cd's I inserted. About a month ago it recognized a dvd I put in.
    The cd's I put in are also coming out scratched.
    Also the dvd will play on another computer.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

If the store scratched it up forcing it open, the store owes you a new bottom case.

You're getting the scratches from it going in and out of the (now once again tight) metal drive opening. Something your day-to-day travels is putting pressure on that part of the macbook and crushing the drive opening.

3. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

This happened to my iBook as well- basically, something heavy was on top of the keyboard, which squeezed the disk drive so disks wouldn't fit. I didn't notice this until I randomly looked the lid when closed and saw how case got squished right above the drive. Then, I used a paint chipper and eventually a flathead screwdriver to gently pry it open. It's still squished, but everything fits in fine. This is a very DIY solution and don't blame me if anything goes wrong. That being said, the Genius Bar should be held responsible for their error.

4. Kinxed thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm more concerned about my computer not reading discs all the time though.
    Is this also because of the case being squished?

5. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Damn it :(

my cd drive doesn't read any CD's and DVD's and I'm trying to install Leopard OS X on this macbook. :(

I'm taking it to the Apple store tomorrow but is there anyway around this? I spent $100 on this disk and it doesn't work because this piece of s**t cd drive can't read it :(

6. Jabberwocky246 macrumors member

Very likely, it appears that whatever is causing the slot to close up could be putting pressure on top of the drive, causing it to fail. Definitely take it back to the Apple store, they need to own up to their shoddy workmanship.

Motionblurrr, please start your own thread instead of trying to hijack Kinxed's. FYI, they make things called external drives that would work for you.