Disc full

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macbaffled, Jun 24, 2012.

1. macbaffled macrumors newbie

My disk is full with 850 gb of "other"!
    My daughter recently installed spotifly, and I think these files are connected to that. I have deleted Spotify and I no longer have disappearing disk space. However i can't find the 850gb worth of files to delete them.

Does anyone have any idea how can I find these files to delete them?
    I installed and used "cleanmymac" but it didn't seem to be able to identify the files; it said my mac was clean.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. macbaffled thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks simsaladimbamba :)

I used DiscInventoryX which found 850gb of mail messages, which are now thankfully deleted.

Thanks for your help!

4. Imac Sam macrumors 6502

Imac Sam

I installed Disk Inverntory X today, and found 63Gb of files stuck in the trash (but the icon showed as empty), from when I first set up the computer. So happy I ran across this thread today! :D:D:D:D

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I've always steered clear of these free utilities, but after much messing around on my iMac during final set-up of my Pegasus, there is lot of junk remaining...I've got rid of a lot using finder, but may give this a shot since it comes recommended by a n expert member here....This of course means that if I have to restore everything from backups I'm blaming :D:Dsimsaladimbamba

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I actually like Daisy Disk. It's not an automatic system cleaner or anything (which is a good thing), but what it does is scan the HDD and show you in an easy to view format where the big files are at and you can choose to delete them from there.

I use it a lot on flash drives to keep the cleaned up.

7. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I had disk-full warnings when I tried to save files in MS Word 2011 for Mac. Actually, the disk was used only about 10%! After I rebooted my Mac, the warnings went away.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I just ran omindisk on my iMac....it same up with 156GB, but it included documents, films and stuff I need....Needless to say I didn't hit delete!:D

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

These utilities are perfectly safe, in that they only identify files. It's the user that chooses to delete or not. But then again, it's always fun to blame simsaladimbamba! :D

10. Macman45, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

:D:D It does give you a really stern warning about deletion, but it seems a little senseless to identify documents, movies and critical data....In fact it found no "Junk" at all....To take a leaf out of your book, let the Mac take care of itself. I use Onyx to run the odd script from time to time, but that's it. wITH THE R4 now configured the way I want it, and achieving blistering real time speeds, storage space is hardly an issue for me now....My TC no longer backs up my iMac, but it does take care of my MBA and MBP....There is a lot of space on that 3TB drive if I ever need it. I might partition it if I ever run low, but the Pegasus is so fast I doubt I'd be all that satisfied with slower data transfer speeds....The R4 really does live up to it's claimed speeds....A little off topic, but I've been wondering if I can connect the VGA port on the R4 to my 46" LED Sony TV....I would need a female to female connector but wonder about compatibility....Sony seem to insist on you buying their own peripherals....I have it hardwired into my modem, but the wifi dongle is £76.00 or $118..:eek: Not really that concerned about connecting it to the Pegasus, just curious.

11. OCICILIONI macrumors member

re: disk full

I found an App called "Twins" to be useful. It helps you to find duplicate files on your computer hard drive and eliminate them, freeing up space.