Disc needed to complete Windows 7 install

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by LSUtigers03, Feb 24, 2010.

1. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

My Snow Leopard disc isn't installing the drivers. Do I need an install disc that comes with a macbook (I bought my copy from the Apple Store) that is at least 10.6?

Edit: Also I can't get boot camp to update to 3.1 the version I have is 3.0.1 and an update doesn't show up when I check my macbook for updates. Could this be the reason I can't add the Apple drivers to my Windows 7 partition? Also can Parallels or VMware Fusion use the bootcamp partition?

2. Cboss macrumors 6502

1. The retail Snow Leopard disk has the Bootcamp drivers on it. It worked great when I installed Windows 7. Could you explain a little more about what happens when you try to install the drivers?

2. The update for Bootcamp isn't downloaded on the Mac side. You download it after your Bootcamp partition is already set up.

3. Both Parallels and VMware Fusion can boot Windows from the Bootcamp partition.

3. LSUtigers03 thread starter macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

With XP all I had to do was put in my OSX disc and the install automatically started. With Windows 7 it doesn't do this. It gives me the option to install OSX and some other option for something for a MacBook Air. Also when I tried to install boot camp 3.1 it doesn't do anything nothing installs and it seems like the install never starts and nothing happens.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you installed a 64 bit version of Windows 7 you might need to force the install. Search for BootCamp64.msi in the forum for instructions.

B

5. LSUtigers03 thread starter macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I installed the 32 bit version. Do both have issues or only the 64 bit version?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Only 64 should have issues with the retail disc. Note too that since the drivers are on a separate partition on the CD copies of the retail disc usually doesn't work.

B

7. LSUtigers03 thread starter macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

The disc I'm using is the original disc I bought from Apple. I may just delete the partition and start over.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not sure if that's going to help.

What do the contents of the disc look like when you are booted to Windows. Can you post a screenshot or directory listing?

B

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Just double click "BootCamp.msi" in the Drivers/Apple's folder on the disk.

So what if the Autorun is confused and gives you the wrong menu, doesn't matter.

10. LSUtigers03 thread starter macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I'll post a pic of what it looks like when I put the disc in and the contents of the disc when I get home from work.

11. LSUtigers03 thread starter macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Ok here are some pics of what happens when I put my Snow Leopard disc in on the Windows 7 side. I took them with my phone because I wasn't sure how to take a screen shot in windows on a Mac so I'm sorry about the quality.

The first pic is what pops up when the disc is first inserted.

The second pic are the only two options I get if I pick run setup.exe which is shown in the first pic. I'm not sure why both options mention the macbook air specifically.

The third pic shows the contents of the bootcamp drivers folder on the disc.

Attached Files:

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Check for a BootCamp.msi or BootCamp32.msi in the Apple folder than install that manually. (double click or right click).

B

13. LSUtigers03 thread starter macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

When I tried that and it told me "This installation requires elevated privileges. Launch the installer through setup.exe."

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

15. LSUtigers03 thread starter macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Ok here's the next problem command prompt says that BootCamp.msi is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file.

EDIT: The Windows 7 iso I'm using is a copy that expires after 30 days. My school offers Windows 7 enterprise for free to teachers and students. I'm going to download that and see if I can get this to work.

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can try "start bootcamp.msi".

B

17. LSUtigers03 thread starter macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Now it says it can't find the file. I put the contents of the disc on the hard drive and it said the same thing. I guess I wasn't meant to have Windows 7 on my macbook.