Disc permissions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ronbo191, Jul 28, 2011.

1. ronbo191 macrumors newbie

After my G4 Mdd 1 gig dual is on for a few hours, it reboots itself no matter what I am doing. I could be at a web page or listing to music or watching a video. Once it reboots itself like that it will do it again within 15 minutes or so. When it does stay on for a few hours I will check disc permissions and it will find at least 20 that need repair. It repairs them and everything is fine till it starts rebooting again. Then I come up with bad disc permissions again. How can they be bad every few days? I was thinking ram. Could someone point me in the right direction. I am running Leopard 10.5.8. This is my first experience with a Mac and so far it has not been a happy one.

p.s. This is happening on more than one hard drive.

2. tipman2000 macrumors member

tipman2000

you say it is happening on more than one drive? i would say do a fresh install but that probably wont help if this is affecting multiple drives. Try to get smc fan control and see if the thing is over heating possibly.. could be bad thermal paste. Otherwise, i would try taking out components until it works (one stick of ram at a time, etc.) if it doesn't, then its probably a motherboard problem and would be a pain to fix unless you can find another powermac for cheap. Dont give up on mac just yet. I've been using them since 2006 and i would never consider using a pc again. You have to remember that old machines probably wont work flawlessly, mac or pc.. good luck, please update on developments

3. ronbo191, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

ronbo191 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply. I pulled 2 sticks of ram out that were not in the machine when I bought it. Maybe that will help. I know some systems do not like all the slots to be populated. I took 2 screen shots. If it tells you anything please let me know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I understand the meaning of this video. Please say it isn't so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okeBJICS_tQ&feature=player_embedded

4. tipman2000 macrumors member

tipman2000

Well, I don't know much about the disc permissions info, but from my experience what the permissions repair says is irrelevant, although good thinking in posting it. I realize how pissed you are as I actually had the same problem. I had an older powermac model but it was basically the same thing, and after 5 minutes of using it, it woud lock up. Sometimes it would refuse to even boot. The problem turned out to be a motherboard error. It was basically bricked so I put it on the curb. But besides the fact that nothing is perfect, I have had this MacBook for 3 years straight and I have never had a single problem with it. It is slightly irrational to judge a whole company on one faulty model, ableit a 6 year old model. Yeah I just laugh at that video, but honestly I find what he's ripping on the Mac for to be true of the pc in my experience. Sorry that I don't know what else to say other than you have a bad mobo. I guess we all have our own views that we believe in.

5. ronbo191 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you tipman for your reply. The video was funny for me because it is exactly what is happening in my case. Someone else suggested the logic board to me too. If that is the case, I have another G4 MDD 1.25 that a friend gave me. He said the power supply was no good in it. Could I swap it out with the 1.0 gig dual that I am using now? On the plus side I will have upgraded to a 1.25? I wish this Mac worked better. I find that I am on it 3 times longer than I am on my PC's. The Mac is fun to use and I really enjoy it when it works. If this baby worked like it did when it was new I would sell all of my PC's. Well....maybe just keep one for gaming...lol

p.s. I know the G4 Mdd is old but you have to admit it is beautiful just to look at. That case is awesome just sitting there.
    :D:D

6. tipman2000 macrumors member

tipman2000

Well, if you're into that kind of stuff, would go ahead and try to swap the boards. I did that with my ol' 450 G4 and put in a dual 500. Turns out the dual proc card needs more voltage, so it would freeze if you ever stressed the thing. Since you already have a dual, I imagine it would work. All the other Mac parts seem pretty interchangable. That 450 had like 3 other drives salvaged from other iMacs. Yeah those old ones are all works of art in their own aren't they? The real fun part is when you get the same year of a different model and look at em together and see the similarity. You never know if it will work until you try. Speed boost would be a cool bonus.