Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
My late 2011 15" MPB, running Mavericks 10.9.4, started running very slow. I ran verify disk in disk utility. I got the following error:

Checking volume bitmap.
Volume bitmap needs minor repair for orphaned blocks.
Invalid volume free block count.
(It should be 26319165 instead of 2217283)
The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

A popup said:

This disk needs to be repaired using the Recovery HD. Restart your computer, holding down the Command key and the R key until you see the Apple logo. When the OS X Utilities window appears, choose Disk Utility.

Is there a chance that if I run the Disk Utility I'll completely screw up the disk?
Any way to guess how bad this is? I've been doing backups with Carbon Copy Cloner. Should I re-install? Or will that just copy over the same problem?

Last edited:

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Is there a chance that if I run the Disk Utility I'll completely screw up the disk?

Yes but there is an even greater chance that not repairing the disk will screw up the disk even more. It is prompting for the repair because it is needed.

Any way to guess how bad this is?

You could guess but it is nothing more than that, a guess. A corrupted disk or file system is not a good thing to have.

I would recommend running SpinRite on the disc.

Also this is the Mac Pro forum and not the MacBook Pro forum. One is a notebook computer the other is a workstation computer.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Oops. Reposted in the correct forum.

Thanks for the info.

No worries on posting on the incorrect thread. You can try using Disk Warrior as an alternative to Disk Utility. Sometimes HD problems can be repaired by Disk Warrior that Disk Utility cannot. As good practice, always keep a clone of your main boot drive. Preventive measures are better to lower the risks of HD problems.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I forgot to ask is the disk drive a hard disk drive or a solid state drive? People often use the term disk drive for both. I am assuming a hard disk drive.

Its also worth mentioning that this can be an indicator of drive failure. I am not saying that it is in this case but it is a possibility.

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
I forgot to ask is the disk drive a hard disk drive or a solid state drive? People often use the term disk drive for both. I am assuming a hard disk drive.

Its also worth mentioning that this can be an indicator of drive failure. I am not saying that it is in this case but it is a possibility.

Yes, a hard drive. I ran the disc utitlity and repair. it said that the problem was fixed.

I was considering replacing the drive anyway -- it's 750gb and almost full. Anyone know if I could get a 1tb or larger to put into the MPB?

thanks again.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Yes, a hard drive. I ran the disc utitlity and repair. it said that the problem was fixed.

I was considering replacing the drive anyway -- it's 750gb and almost full. Anyone know if I could get a 1tb or larger to put into the MPB?

thanks again.

Just watch the drive heights. You can get up to 2TB at 9.5mm (Samsung M9T 2TB) most large drives >1.5TB are 12.5mm high and will make the case bulge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.