Disc space full miraculously?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jakek140, Jan 8, 2012.

1. jakek140 macrumors newbie

I'v had my mac since christmas, been getting new stuff i.e World of warcraft and suddenly, out of the blue, 900GB+ has been filled? Pleas shlep me :confused::confused::confused:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For space issues, there are a few things you can try:
    • Begin by restarting your computer as a first step. This sometimes resolves issues.
    • Search with Finder to see if the space is being consumed by a very large file or several large files. Adjust the 50GB in the illustration to whatever size you deem appropriate.
      [​IMG]
    • For Time Machine users on Lion, Time Machine local snapshots may be consuming space.
    • Use DiskInventory X (pre-Lion), OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see how space is being used on your drive. Some of these apps may show more detail than others, so try several.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. jakek140 thread starter macrumors newbie

This resolved itself, ty. Capacity 999.35 GB
    Available 938.77 GB.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I would presume because the release version is PPC only. The universal binary is listed as beta. The beta works great in Lion though.

B

6. jakek140 thread starter macrumors newbie

nope this has messed back up again.
    Free 269mb, but miraculously, disk sweeper says that apps is only using around 500 mb ish

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Because it doesn't show accurate results in Lion. When they update it, I'll change that post. As balamw indicated, apparently they're working on it with a beta.
    As I said, they don't all show the same results, so try a few different apps.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Disk space discrepancies are nothing new since Apple went all base 10 in Snow Leopard. I would not consider just a Lion issue. The Universal beta of Disk Inventory X has been around for years.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it's not the base-10 issue, as it works fine in SL. It is way off in accuracy in Lion. There have been several reports about this in various threads, but I'm too lazy to dig for them right now. You're welcome to try it and compare results with the other apps.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Frankly, I have given up on getting accurate disk space information under OS X. OS X, Apple's own applications, and third party ones all give me different stories.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Unfortunately DI-X is abandonware. The last comment on the universal beta was in 2009.

B

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I found one thread: Freeing Hard Drive Space: "Others"?
    If that's the case, I'll just remove it from my list of suggestions.

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

du -h -d1 will always give you the RIGHT story.

or sudo du -h -d1 depending on where you are.

also df

I've gone through this question about disk space a number of times and these posts come up at least once a day on this subforum and on the macbook pro and macbook air subforums so between those the op should be able to find the answer. I've even compiled a tutorial to help get one started, which is in my sig.