Disc Space

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ksprs, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Ksprs macrumors newbie

Screen Shot 2015-06-04 at 01.40.42.png

Hello lovely people, would like your help explaining how macs disc space works.

This is macbook pro 15" bought last week. Other than native programs all I have installed on it at the moment is Diablo 3 and GW2. I have 0 songs, 0 photos, 0 movies and not a single backup that i'm aware off.

question: what are these gigabytes of audio, photos, movies, backups? I presume "Other" are two games I've installed or are they under apps? (btw audio and photo folders had hundreds of megabytes /photo had 900mb/ even before I've installed anything on it)

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The backups I can explain: That's Time Machine taking local snapshots and storing them on your system. The other files are most likely being detected by Spotlight because they're located in the respective data folders for the 2 games you installed - they're part of the game but not located inside the app package, which is why they don't show up as Apps. As for Other, that's a variety of things: UNIX executable files that form the core of OS X, system log files, configuration files, and files critical for OS X to boot.