Disc that came with my Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fasteddie22, Feb 2, 2011.

1. fasteddie22 macrumors newbie

I'm a long-time, but former, Windows user. I switched in '09 and I can honestly say I have never used a 'recovery' disc that came with any of my Windows machines.

I'm about to do a drive upgrade on my MBP and I'm wondering what exactly is on my disc that came in the box. Is it a full OS X installation? Or is it just recovery tools? I know most recommend a "clean" install and data migration on a new drive, but I'm not looking to go buy a copy of the OS just for this.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The grey install disc that comes with your Mac is a full OS X installation that only works with your Mac. It will not work on other Mac models. It can be used to reinstall all or part of your original Mac OS X.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Your disc is a full install of OS X, so no need to worry. I think it is just encoded to work only with your model of computer so you can't share discs, etc.

4. simsaladimbamba

It is a fully working Installer for Mac OS X, though it is tied to the model you have.
    You can do Clean Installs (if Mac OS X 10.6) or Archive and Installs or Erase and Installs (if 10.5).

5. fasteddie22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it tied to the hard drive or something else on the machine?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can do an archive and install (or sometimes it's called an upgrade install) with OS X 10.6 as well. Just pop in the disc and follow the on-screen instructions. You will need to use Disk Utility to perform a clean install.

It is tied to the specs of the machine. The disc contains drivers that only work on your Mac model, meaning that it cannot provide the necessary driver for other Macs

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's tied to that particular model number, so it will work with any hard drive you put in it.

8. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

As others have said that disk is to your Mac computer as Windows 7 Professional is to a PC. Whatever you do don't throw it away. If you ever sell your machine or pass it on to someone else... they will appreciate getting that disc.

9. simsaladimbamba

But the Archive and Install from 10.5 and prior differs from the Upgrade Install 10.6 offers. One leaves behind a Previous System folder with all your "old" data and gives you a completely fresh user and installation, while the other leaves everything where it is - superficially seen.

Anyway, let's talk about snatching cursing hares.