disc utility basics.....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bob2131, Oct 2, 2008.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

hi,
    i have a cd-rom....i tried to make a disc image of it...it said failed. so i just copied and pasted the contents into a new folder in my macbook.

when i have a disc, cd-rom, or something like the leopard install discs etc.
    people have said to make a disc image. (for backup purposes)

is this the same as copying and pasting?

should i make disc images and keep them on hard drive of leopard install discs? and windows xp disc?

can i make a disc image of both my leopard discs or ...........

leopard discs........make a copy dvd of it....?

sorry .....thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

A disk image is an exact copy of the disc, therefore the name "image".

If you use the Finder to copy a CD/DVD it is prone to fail due to hidden files and folders and read/write rights.

Why your Disc Utility doesn't copy the CD I don't know.
    Is this CD scratched/damaged in any way? And how old is it? And is it a CD that came with a programme or magazine or was it burnt by an end user?

3. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

but with like data discs....its the same thing as just copying and pasting....

but yeah....i think i understand the diff between image and just copying files....

the kinda things im talking about are not music cds or dvd films etc...im talking about data cd-rom disc or a data dvd disc........

the cd i tried was from a pro tools book im borrowing....there is an included cd with various things on it...files etc....disc utility couldnt make a disc image of it......so i just copied and pasted all the contents from the cd to my mac hard drive, into a folder..........see? its the same thing in this case, right?

i have leopard install discs.....and also windows xp install disc........
    should i make disc images of these? and keep them on my mac hard drive?
    leopard dvds are dual layer.... so would it just make an image of the dual layer dvd, into one image? so 2 disc images from 2 leopard dvds right?

say if im gonna travel somewhere FAR..... for however long.....and i need to take my software....lots of software.....they are all on many many cds.....would it be possible to just make disc images of all the cds.....and just keep them on my mac internal harddrive? and when needed i can run them? this would be exactly like putting the cd in? or is there issues sometimes?...........

what do people use disc images for?

thankyou....

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If it is a data disk with just normal files (pdf, jpg, ....) it is more than okay to just copy them via Finder.

But a installation disk is more complicated due to hidden files.

A disk image via Disk Utility or a third party disk copier of a Leopard DVD is better for archiving purposes, as you can burn them again quite simply.

I use to do this with my Mac OS installation disks.