Disc Utility burn problems

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kevblank, Jul 4, 2010.

1. kevblank macrumors newbie

I am writing a disc image made on iDVD of a Final Cut Express Project.
    i have had varied success using these programs with verbatim dual layer DVD+R DL. lately i have been getting weird errors from idvd, so i burn the disc image and use disc utility. this worked for a few projects.
    Now i am trying to burn a project (not very big, simple menu, single video file) and disc utility runs all the way through and burns it successfully, yet when i try to watch it on a dvd player, it always freezes at the exact same frame.
    i have tried starting it over and re-encoding the video and all that. it plays fine on the idvd preview part. i am running low on dvds now.
    if anyone has any idea what might be wrong here, i would appreciate it, thanks

2.16 GHz intel core 2 duo
    2 GB 667 MHZ DDR2 SDRAM
    idvd 7.0.4
    disc utility 11.5.1

2. kevblank thread starter macrumors newbie

would someone please help me with this?

i re-exported the file from final cut express, made the project new with the new video file, and burned it twice, once with disc utility, once with idvd 09, both complete without error.
    both freeze at the exact same moment. i have burned through about 30 dollars worth of dvds here and need this done in the next two days....PLEASE

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Have you tried playing it on multiple DVD players and have you tried going back to an older project that burned correctly and re-burning that project to see if you get the same freezing problem you have w/the current project?

Lethal

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

I'm sorry this is happening to you.

If its the same moment, do you have an unintentional DVD chapter marker there perhaps? How far along in time is it?

as for your useless burned discs...to prevent this in the future and still be able to test on a real player, you ought to buy a DVD-RW disc or two so you can erase them.

5. kevblank thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you both of you for getting back to me.

what is particularly interesting about this is that i have used the video file in question on numerous dvds before (dvds that had four videos, instead of just the one).

so while i do not have any sort of answer, except guessing that it must be related to inconsistent medium......i got it to work.

i used just some cheap memorex dvd-r and burned with iDVD. these have failed me before but worked this time.

- RWs would definitely be a good idea for the future....i had not used them because my original batch of projects were large and required double layer, which are not, as far as i know, available in RW.

anyway thanks