Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's Power Mac G5 has a distinctive aluminum design that was disruptive when it launched in 2003. Inspired by this milestone in design, designer Klaus Geiger has "upcycled" this aging Apple hardware into furniture because the machines are "simply too good to be disposed of." (via DesignBoom)

power_mac_g5_bench.jpg
As part of a project aptly titled "Benchmarc", Geiger has carefully created a sitting bench using a carved wooden plank that forms a bridge between two Power Mac G5 units. The machining on the wood is aligns the curve perfectly with the shape of the Power Mac chassis.

power_mac_g5_table_drawers.jpg
Beyond benches, Geiger also has crafted a movable conference table, file cabinets and more using discarded Power Mac machines. Additional concept renderings include an entire office full of furniture designed around old Power Mac G5 units.

Though interesting as a one-off furniture design project, this isn't the first time Apple hardware has been recycled. Both the iMac and the Mac Pro have been converted into fish aquariums, while a Power Mac G3 became an unusual roadside mailbox.

Article Link: Discarded Power Mac G5s 'Upcycled' Into Modern Office Furniture

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
It would be cool if someone took one of these cases and made an actual cheese grater out of it. Probably done already... anyone with a link? :D

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Ours are still serving thousands of pages a day. Not even close to being obsolete yet or ready to be put in the trash can or become a trash can.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's really cool - I'd love to have a desk like that. Maybe I'll get a couple of MacPro cases on eBay and make one.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
For people so rich they can keep their paper files in a computer too.

Like in Zoolander? :D

----------

This is kinda cool, but I think the PowerMac G5 case is better suited as a housing for a new, unnecessarily powerful computer (as many have used it for on YouTube). And you can add ridiculous LEDs that shine through the metal grating.

11m9h8x.jpg

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
It's cool, sure, but my G5 is still a perfectly serviceable computer. Though I'll admit to having entertained the idea of finding a broken G3 iMac and making a fishtank out of it.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Here is the new Mac Pro in 10 years. As you can see, there is little modification necessary to upcycle. Though it won't hold much garbage, you can use it to finally pitch that ancient iPhone 6 Plus that has been gathering dust for years!

1kmVr.jpg

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Horrible in my opinion. Rather see a hackintosh put inside the cases and a better pair of legs for that gorgeous piece of wood they have for the desktop.

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
It would be cool if someone took one of these cases and made an actual cheese grater out of it. Probably done already... anyone with a link? :D

When I finally retire my G5 I might just do that. The wife is always calling it a cheese grater. Not sure about fitting it in the kitchen though :eek:

Nice furniture though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.