discoloration 2010 MacBook Pro 13" display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by modest serving, Apr 6, 2011.

1. modest serving, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

modest serving macrumors member

I bought my 13" MacBook Pro 49 days ago from Best Buy.
    I love it! It's everything I need in a portable computer.

Anyways, I noticed yesterday when rebooting that there is a discoloration in the display. It only visible with darker colors, most visible when viewing a solid color like the blue screen before login.

I've taken excellent care of this MacBook Pro. I've primarily had it on my desk at home, but when I have taken to it work I carried it in my Patagonia Half Mass messenger bag which is well padded and to make it even more secure I've had it in a padded sleeve made by InCase while in the bag. There's no damage to the MacBook at all, it is flawless. So, I'm clueless as to why there is this blotch on my display. What should I do? Is this covered by AppleCare typically?

Check it out:

[​IMG]

in case that picture goes down, here it is on yfrog:
    picture of discoloration on MacBook Pro 13"

2. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

I had a similar issue with my 2009 MBP. When i took it to the apple store the genius called it screen bruising and replaced the whole screen assembly. he said its normally caused by pressure being put on the screen. Even though he said it might have been my fault, they replaced it free under applecare warranty.

I would take it the nearest apple store and see what they say.

3. modest serving thread starter macrumors member

That's good news. Thanks for the reply. The nearest Apple Store is unfortunately about 90 miles away but it will probably be worth it so I don't have to have it shipped. Do you remember how long it took for them to replace the display. I've taken iPhones to the apple store but this will be my first experience taking a Mac. Thanks, again.

4. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

That's a bummer, see if you have a local apple authorized repair shop near you. You can find one by searching here.

It took them about 4 days to fix, even though the geniuses always tell you between 7-10 business days.

5. mase2626 macrumors newbie

Just tonight I noticed a discoloration similar in shape and in the exact same location as the one in your picture. Mine however is much fainter.. I can only notice it against a black background with the brightness turned all the way up. Now that I've realized its there though, it'll be driving me crazy for sure. I somehow think I'll have quite the time bargaining to have it replaced under warranty (i bought mine in 2010 directly from Apple). Let me know if you ever ended up bringing yours in and how that ended up working out for you. Thanks.

6. Hystoryan macrumors newbie

Discoloration

Modest Serving:

Did you ever resolve the discoloration issue? I've had the problem six times now (same shape as yours, though sometimes red, other times clear) over the last year and a half. I've had the display panel replaced three times, and the computer itself replaced three times. Just reappeared yesterday on a computer I received in August (new display and hard drive in December). Apple claims to have no idea what the problem is.

Just wondering what you've discovered since you had this problem in 2011.

Thanks.

7. modest serving thread starter macrumors member

I took it to the Apple Store in Knoxville soon after I posted above. They sent it off for the display to be replaced covered by the original AppleCare warranty. Since then I've had no problems with the MacBook Pro. The display has worked fine. Could it be something related to how you are storing, using, or transporting the laptops? The Genius said that any pressure on the display could cause the bruising.