Discolored MBP 15" 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by El Em, Jul 2, 2011.

1. El Em macrumors newbie

Hello, I had my MBP since 2010 and everything worked fine. In recent days there has been very hot indoors, so my hand-palms have been quite wet & sweaty and this has contributed to a discoloration on my aluminum.

[​IMG]

Why did this happen? A few days ago, you could see no trace at all of this. It has been super, but something must have happened...

How can I fix it?

2. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Rubbing alcohol fixes it. Make sure it doesn't touch the trackpad or the glass screen.

3. El Em thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried that, but it didn't work! Do you have some other options?

4. craig1212 macrumors newbie

no

basically, you wore down the aluminum on the wrist area. ( it happens over time with use). You should've invested in some type of wrist-pad (like the "moshi wrist pad") when you first purchased your laptop. But, if you find a solution, please post it on the boards I would love to know. Good luck in finding a solution for your discolored wrist pad.

5. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

Luckily that is just cosmetic and should not affect your system in any way!!

6. El Em thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I see...
    But the strange thing is that there were no signs at all for three days ago, and then I was super warm och sweaty and POW the discoloration appeared.

For the last two days I've used wristbands on my arms to prevent more discoloration.

Has this problem been reported here before?
    Is this something the guarantee will cover?

7. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Try a magic eraser. Sadly, your warranty will not cover this issue.

8. bluesteel, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

bluesteel macrumors 6502

i had a 2010 17" Macbook Pro, and i faced a similar issue. i tend use lotion on my hands for dryness, and i eventually started to notice marks similar to yours on my palmrest. i'm almost 100 percent positive that the lotion/oils, and sweat on my palms from the computer's heat, made the marks. anyway, i brought my computer to the genius bar ( i had apple care), and i showed the problem, and asked what they can do about it. he admitted there was a problem and said that they could swap out the casing. and so i had the casing swapped out and the issue ultimately resolved. after that issue, i've started using a Moshi Palmguard for my new 2011 Macbook Pro....it works perfect.

9. El Em thread starter macrumors newbie

What's a magic eraser?

Hm, my warranty expired two weeks ago...
    Can I still buy Apple Care and ask them if they can fix it?

10. bluesteel macrumors 6502

you have one year to buy apple care from the date of purchase...looks like its too late :-( i'm almost positive Apple will not fix the issue if your Macbook Pro is out of warranty.

11. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser.do

'
    Better buy it quick! Apple will still sometimes still give you a grace period but usually for a week or two.