Discoloring on palm rest, how will Apple respond?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ayeying, Jul 13, 2011.

1. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

So, I was doing a routine cleaning on my MacBook Pro and I notice something on my palm rest that seem disconcerting.

I don't think I noticed it before because of all the junk that's surrounding the laptop (papers, books, etc) but this just looks weird.

The palm rest is smooth. I tried cleaning it using Soap and Water but didn't work. Tried Magic Eraser, didn't work. My last bet now is to visit the Apple Store and see what they can do.

However, I'm wondering, how would Apple respond to this? Would they try to blame this on me saying I caused it somehow? The rest is completely smooth.

Attached Files:

2. Genocide macrumors member

Sweat, body oils, and friction can erode the surface of your computer's frame so they could say that it was because of you, which in actuality may be true. Never hurts to try though.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I do not think they will do anything ... they will say you caused it with oily hands and it does not hinder the performance

4. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

That's what I'm worried about. The thing is, it really doesn't look like its caused by what I've done, but I'm not 100% sure how they'll take it.

Just seems weird since I only have this system for less than half a year and I see this. I remember my former unibodies, air, black macbooks, never had discoloring on the casing before.

I've already made an appointment for later this afternoon since I got time. I hope they'll be able to replace the top case at least.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

You DO know what "unibody" means, right? ;)

I rather hope they don't replace the body. It's not a defect, and if they do it simply adds to the cost structure. As others pointed out, it's simply the reaction of the metal to your skin oils, etc.

6. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

7. Genocide macrumors member

Though it is unusual that so much corrosion has occurred in only six months. The only way I could see this happening is if the user has over-active sweat glands or very oily hands and never cleans his Macbook. Otherwise, such corrosion should take much longer to occur.

8. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

I believe it could be a defect. I don't sweat on my palms at all unless I'm extremely nervous and I wouldn't be nervous at my computer... dunno why I would be.

I understand what "Unibody" means. The top case I'm referring to is the entire outer body. I call the cover a bottom case, even though its just a cover. It's a habit.

My outer casing is completely free of any marks, scratches, kinks, etc. The system just gets dusty from time to time but beyond that it looks like brand new still... except the palm rest.

I did have an awkward mark on the black bezel before and Apple replaced it under warranty because they considered it a defect.

9. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I said "skin oils," not "sweat." Whether you sweat or not is not the issue. The aluminum used is susceptible to reaction with the oils (and other substances) from your skin, and that is what is causing the discoloration you're seeing. Hence, it is not a "defect" and that's why I said I hope Apple does not replace it, because all you are doing is raising the overall cost structure for everyone else.

10. Genocide macrumors member

It actually does seem like a defect. The Macbook's casing should not corrode/discolour after only 6 months of use unless exposed to abnormal amounts of body oil or sweat. I have had my Macbook for over a year now and have absolutely no discolouration anywhere on the case.

OP:
    Just explain that you have only had the computer for 6 months and that you have not been exposing it to an abnormal amount of body oils/sweat and see what they can do.

If they can't help you there are pads you can put over the affected area that are designed for the Macbook pro.

11. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I like you.

12. randomrazr macrumors 65816

u seriously used the magic eraser?

they will actualy "sand" the finish on ur macbook a bit...>.>

13. eUnique macrumors member

I dislike you and poster you are praising.

Apple will anyways rape us on prices... the demand is there. If you get a ugly machine get a better one because Apple is bending us over and ****ing the **** out of us on prices. You think they raise the price due to shrink? Laughable, you know nothing. Where do you think the refurbs come from? And you think they mind selling the refurbs for a little less? Maybe a little but there ROI on refurb and/or new is crazy.

Apple makes a product better than the other guys but in a practical duopoly its not that hard to make a better one.

Do you know how much money Apple makes? Take a guess and google it.... and stop picking a corporation over a consumer who already paid out the ass for his product.