discolouration on macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by unintended, Nov 12, 2010.

1. unintended macrumors newbie

I've had my macbook for just over a month and a couple of weeks ago yellow patches showed up where my hands would rest.
    when I google this a lot of threads come up about it but nothing that recent so I wanted to ask.
    what can I do about this?
    I've tried everything to get the marks off but the only thing that worked were nail polish remover wipes.
    but these kind of removed a layer of the plastic as well as the marks so I don't want to use them.

I have no other problems with the laptop, everything else is great, so I'm kind of annoyed that the downfall is something so little, but it just looks horrible and not like a new laptop.

so basically, what works to get the marks off without causing further damage, and if I take this to apple what can they do?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I have previously used my girlfriends make up remover wipes. It didn't seem to cause any further damage. After all it does say on the packet 'soft and gentle'.

3. MacLawyer macrumors regular

MacLawyer

I have the same problem and I think it's burned into the plastic. Anyone know if this is covered by AppleCare?

4. yourwiseguy macrumors regular

yourwiseguy

I'm not sure if this is the same thing or not, but I was getting the same sort of marks on my white macbook and they went away with Mr.Clean Magic Eraser. I now use them once a month and my macbook looks like new!

5. MacLawyer macrumors regular

MacLawyer

I'm going to the Apple Store next week and will let them look at the 'Book. I'll post what they tell me in this thread.

6. MacLawyer macrumors regular

MacLawyer

Went to the local Genius Bar yesterday. They took one look at the discoloration and said to back it up and bring it back so they could send it in for a new case.

I asked if the genius if he had seen this before, and he said no. However I think I sensed a bit of misdirection there.

7. unintended thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of maybe taking it to apple because nothing is working.
    I tried make up wipes too and it didn't work.
    but because I used nail polish remover wipes and it kind of wore away the plastic, will it matter?

oh and can you get mr clean magic erasers in the UK? I've never heard of them before.

8. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul