Discolouring of Apple leather case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by darthbane2k, Sep 30, 2014.

1. darthbane2k macrumors 6502

I bought a leather midnight blue on launch day and discolouring has caused the sides and the majority of the back of the case turn black. I exchanged it for a new one today and I have a blue case again! If this happens again I may just return for black.

Anyone else had this experience?

2. andy769 macrumors member

I got my midnight blue on launch day and it's pretty dark also now. Not sure if I should exchange for black or try a silicone version.

3. dk206 macrumors regular

4. vsighi macrumors 6502

vsighi

I got a the brown leather case...but I still don't have an iPhone:D

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The black leather is the only one that doesn't discolour.

6. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

glad i didnt get the leather red
    waiting for my silicone red to arrive

7. 3pp macrumors member

This happened with the cases last year, and it also says on the box that it will change in appearance over time. I'm not sure what you thought swapping it would achieve? Of course it's going to happen again.

8. darthbane2k, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

darthbane2k thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't mind leather wearing evenly, but it was only the sides mainly that were turning black leaving a very unattractive case. I'll see how the new one wears and if I dislike, I'll swap again for the black one

9. xraytech macrumors 68020

You do realize that leather will change color over time.

10. rhenzhen macrumors member

Does Apple store charge restocking fee to return or exchange? I don't know their policy. I plan to return my Red silicon and thinking about exchanging with Black Leather or Silicone... I'm still undecided which one should I pick... :confused:

11. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Leather does change over time, but it's not as simple as that answer IMO. The short answer for me is coming to the conclusion that the Apple leather cases are of very poor design and quality.

Everyone has different tastes and opinions. I've owned a lot of leather and a handful of leather cases for different iPhones / iPads and other mobile devices. The Apple case is the only one that changed so drastically and rapidly.

Some people post pics as below like "Loving the worn in look of my red apple case" lol. I don't get it.

Attached Files:

12. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Yep, learned my lesson with the iPad Air leather case.

13. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

what did you not like about the red sillicone?

14. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

The leather used in the apple cases is a coated dyed leather. The coating is very thin and will rub through. It's not like a full grain leather.

15. vsighi macrumors 6502

vsighi

...my wife red leather case for her iPhone 5 turned blue after 6 months :(

16. TruckdriverSean, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Yep.

I got a brown leather case for the 5S last year and within a week it turned dark around the edges where you grip it.

These aren't made of the hard leather like a car seat or a biker jacket. This is the soft/supple/will soak up anything wet leather.

Oils from your skin, lotion, sunblock, dyes from clothing, etc. will soak right into it.

I eventually got the black leather case for the 5s and loved it, so that's what I'm rocking on my 6 now.

17. TwinCitiesJHawk macrumors 6502

TwinCitiesJHawk

My blue leather case has become basically black on both sides of the case after 1 week of use. I'll try to get pics up soon. Gonna return it before the 14 day return policy is up at the apple store.

18. Fuchal macrumors 68020

It wears first where you hold it the most and at the friction points - the corners. If you hold on to it through the awkward periods, when it finally fully wears it looks really nice.

19. Tarun45 macrumors newbie

20. bobright macrumors 601

Im curious how it looks, can we see? Sounds terrible though.

21. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Type Apple Leather Case in the search box of this forum and you can see how the 5/5s cases discolored. There's even a thread on the best way to condition the leather to make it look 'better' longer.

22. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I had the Brown leather case for the 5s. It was "dirty" within a week. But I love the patina it develops. I have the midnight blue case for my 6+. I look forward to seeing how that develops over time. It's the beauty of leather.

23. bananataffy macrumors member

Any comments from owners of the new brown leather case? Considering equipping a gold 6 Plus with one but i'm wondering how it fares over time. It's a different, darker brown than the 5S case. Does it still noticeably discolor along the edges?

24. walds11 macrumors 6502a

I am not happy to hear that the midnight blue case is darkening on the edges. I may have to stick with my olive brown case. I've had the case for about 12 days and it's looking great, although very slight darkening on the edges. I am hoping that the olive brown ages better than the other colors. If not, it's going back.

Anyone know if Apple is flexible with their 14 day return policy? I may not be able to get in there until one or two days after the 14 days is up.

25. rhenzhen macrumors member

I did not like the color coz it looks like orange red when you are outside. Too grippy. I went and have it exchanged with Black Leather Case. I like it but the power button is not properly align. I have to press it hard to work. I'm going to exchange it again...