Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adusane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2008
Hello there,

I got my mac 2 days ago and to be honest, I am a recent convert. I have not idea how to use a Mac and the learning curve has been tough.

I just got the MacBook Pro Duo 2 Core and one thing that keeps annoying me is that I keep losing my internet connection every 10 minutes. I did some research and have realized that this is a common problem with the new Mac OS. However, I have seen so many supposed solutions to the problem but I have not idea if it works. Some of the solutions are not described step by step for a newbie who has no idea how to operate a mac.

I am not sure if this is an issue that has already been addressed by Apple, but any of you have the same problem? And have you managed to solve the issue? It is bugging hell out of me.

Please let me know if I should provide more information and if so, how I can get that information on my mac. I am a mac-idiot.

Thanks a lot!

whtlghtnng78

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2008
I have had problems with my airport connection but anyways...Im also a new mac user and my mac just keeps surprising me. Once u get the hang of it, its pretty bad ass. I would like to see a response to ur question also

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
What is the "information" that you don't understand?

Have you updated your wireless router to latest firmware?

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Since this is a brand new laptop, check to see what version of the OS you are running.

Go to the Apple Menu -> About this Mac and it will show you.

If your OS is less than 10.5.3 go on to the next steps.

1. Reset your router
2. Reset your SMC by shutting down, remove power, remove the battery, press and hold the power button for 5 seconds. Now reinstall the battery and connect the external power if you are using it.
3. Reset your PRAM: with the computer powered off, hit the power button and immediately hold down these keys (command-option-p-r) until you here the third "bong", then let go.

See if this corrects your problem. If not, go on...

4. If you keep losing your internet connection, you may need another computer to do this...

Download the 10.5.3 combo updater from here (it is large and may take 30 minutes to download - about 500MB in size):

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx1053comboupdate.html

If you used a second computer to do this, copy the file onto a usb flash drive and then transfer it to your mac.

Now restart in SAFE BOOT... When you here the bong, immediately hold down the shift key and keep holding until you see the spinning gear on the grey screen. Then let go.

This boot takes longer (could be 5 - 10 minutes) but eventually you will see the login screen with "Safe Boot" in red.

Double click the combo updater dmg file and it will mount. Then double click the installer in the window.

Your mac will seem to reboot twice. This is normal.

Once the reboots are completed and you get to your regular login screen, log in and run Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility) and select your disk in the left side. Click the First Aid tab and Repair Permissions.

This update fixes many problems including Airport issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.