Disconnecting from Windows XP box

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rhett7660, Feb 5, 2009.

1. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Hello..

I have a windows xp box on my network. I deleted a user name on the xp box. It just so happened that was the user name that I used to log into from my Mac OS X box. Now when I go to try and reconnect to the box, it will connect via the user name however if you go under the computer shared and click on the box it shows connected as guest. I type in another user name and password and it once again connects as guest. I went back to the xp box and re-created the user name. Rebooted both boxes. Went to the shared file again and it shows the xp box. Click on it and it shows connected as Guest. It won't let me connect as anything else. I can't change the connection name either. IE Administrator + password. Nothing is working.

I have tried connect via smb//ipaddress and it hangs. However if I try via smb//computer name it connects to is still the old username and it shows up as connected as guest. Won't let me change it.

I went into the keychain app and deleted the keychain entry. That didn't work.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

I have attached a screen shot.

Attached Files:

2. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

After I posted this I found this article from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

I restarted my xp box after I removed the simple share. Removed the previous shares and then re-shared them. Worked like a charm.

This is in case someone else has this problem.