Disconnecting iPod from MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by challiman, May 11, 2009.

1. challiman macrumors member

Another newbie question. MacBook is now 10 days old, iPod Touch is 1 day old. My first iPod. Husband helped me set it up, so far so good. My question is when I want to disconnect the iPod from the Mac (while the iPod is not in use) can I just remove the USB from the Mac or should I go into the iTunes menu and select disconnect the iPod? I'm always concerned with corrupting a file or something, since I did that once with a camera memory card, just taking it out without clicking on "safely remove hardware" on my old PC. I did a search on here and found nothing that addresses this issue.
    Any other things to be wary of that I might not think about or know right away? Thanks for any help.

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Always Eject. You can leave connected to recharge and physically disconnect afterwards, but never disconnect without ejecting. :)

3. MurphyM macrumors 6502

The touch is more accommodating when it comes to disconnecting than other iPods. You can stop a sync in progress on your Mac or just swipe the slider on your touch.

4. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Both of which are 'soft' ejects, which are fine, but physically disconnecting without ejecting is a bad idea which is what the OP is alluding to I believe.

5. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Doesn't the iPod disconnect itself after it syncs and backs up? Because I've got my touch hooked up right now, and it just backed up, and the screen is off. I've only been disconnecting it by removing the USB cable, and I've never gotten the error that I would get if I would have done that with a different iPod.

[​IMG]

Screen of iPod touch off. I'm not sure you have to eject it, really.

6. challiman thread starter macrumors member

Aha

Bacong, I'm sorry I didn't pay more attention to that little message. I'm sure mine says the same thing. Is there a time when that message wouldn't appear and that would be when I should do the Eject icon?
    I surely don't want to damage it, but maybe others who posted could clarify when they are saying you have to use the Eject button, if it isn't all the time.
    The Devil is in the details.......
    Thanks to all.

7. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I just press the eject button every time to be safe, don't want to screw it up.

8. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

The OK to Disconnect message comes up if you have your iPod set to sync automatically, ie iTunes does everything for you. You just plug it in and new songs etc are automatically added.

If you were to change your iPod settings so that you managed it manually (ie drag and drop) then you would always have to hit eject, and the Ok to Disconnect message would never appear.

With my iPhone the rule of thumb I use is just not to unplug it when it's syncing. If it says Ok to Disconnect in iTunes and the iPhone screen's just showing that it's charging then I'll pull it out without ejecting. The golden rule is just not to unplug it when it's syncing, other than that you can unplug it.

You'll know if you'll screwed up because iTunes'll show you an angry notification saying you shouldn't have just yanked it out. But I wouldn't worry too much. I've accidentally unplugged iPods too early a few times over the last 4 years and it's always been ok.

9. omniinvoice macrumors member

I have never ejected my ipod touch or iphone using itunes before (To lazy). Not had any problems. Have there been any reports that this has damage an ipod touch or iphone?

10. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

It's just like most things, it COULD delete stuff etc. Like on a games console, turning it off while saving could delete your save.

11. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Incorrect. I manually manage music and videos. The only things iTunes does automatically is backup the iPod and sync the mail accounts and pictures.