Disconnection problems

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by tofagerl, Apr 3, 2017.

1. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

My apple TV is three or four meters away from my Unifi AC Pro in DIRECT view, and yet it keeps disconnecting. This seems to be rather a new issue, perhaps a week old. How can I debug it?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You should probably describe your network setup in detail.

3. tofagerl thread starter macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Sure, it's pretty simple.
    There's a Fiber modem in the wall, a cable goes to a 5 port Netgear switch (cheap unmanaged) which then has a Unifi router connected to it. The FreeNAS router I'm usually streaming from is also connected directly to this switch.
    It doesn't really matter if I'm streaming from Plex, Netflix og Spotify (via iPhone) though, several times an hour it disconnects and reconnects.
    I upgraded my Apple TV 27th of march, and I can't help but connect this to the problem. I'm not 100% sure, but the time when this problem showed up is very close to that date, though on weekdays I seldom use the Apple TV much. I certainly wasn't there the weekend before 27th of march.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

That sounds screwed up to me so I must not understand. What kind of "cable" is going from the modem to the switch? What is controlling DHCP...the local network?

5. tofagerl thread starter macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Why, an Ethernet cable of course. Cat 5e. The DHCP is controlled by the router, since the switch has no such functions and the wifi router doesn't bother with such things.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

The part I don't get is the switch between the modem and the DHCP router...doesn't sound right at all. Ought to be Modem>Router>Everything on the local network.

7. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Right. Modem => Router (wifi or not) => Switch(s) => all devices that are hard wired.

8. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Right. Anything connected to that switch, upstream from the router, doesn't get an IP address, or at least, worst case, one in the subnet that your ATV is in.

Short story: Had a client with a home business. They had two Netgear routers. A hub (old days) split the connection to the two areas. Well, their resident 'tech' couldn't get their network running without somehow reversing one of the Netgears. So what that meant is that occasionally a 'business computer couldn't connect to their server. Why? The backwards Netgear would beat the business Netgear in DHCP to give an address. IN THE SAME ADDRESS SCHEME!

How it worked was beyond me. I got involved, and flipped the Netgear around, and gave it a new scheme, and everything worked. A month later, I was back out there for a computer 'off the network'. I stopped in, found out it had a good address, but couldn't connect to the server again, and found out that 'genius mode' had flipped the Netgear around, and factory reset it. You can't fix stupid, and I never underestimated the client drive to 'get 'er done', no matter what happened. I think the server was doing DHCP, and wasn't allowing the 'foreign' IP address computer to connect. Something like that...

9. tofagerl thread starter macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

The Unifi AC pro AP isn't a router, it's a wireless accesspoint. Why are you arguing this instead of my actual problem? Clearly all of my 8-10 wireless devices get IP addresses, otherwise THAT would be my problem, not the comparatively lesser problem that one of them loses the connection (not the IP address, the CONNECTION) several times an hour.

Also, you guys all suck at network topology...

10. Alrescha macrumors 68020

To be fair to the respondents, you are the one with two routers and a cable modem. This implies you have no less than three separate address spaces, and you have not clearly identified where all the clients are located. The real question may be why it works at all... :)

A.

11. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Thanks. I'm out!

12. tofagerl thread starter macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

I have one router, one switch and one AP. And I asked a question, not a riddle - you're not supposed to find "the real problem" but answer how I can debug my apple TV!
    --- Post Merged, Apr 5, 2017 ---
    Were you ever really in, though...?

13. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Wow. Not sure if I have ever seen such a rude response from a person asking for advice and then decides to blast those trying to help.

14. tofagerl thread starter macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

They weren't trying to help, they were hung up on something completely irrelevant!

You know what, **** this! Unwatching this thread and calling Apple Support instead.

15. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Good luck!

They were so helpful on my problem with the Apple TV. I still had the issue, and donated them to Good Will...

The gen 3 Apple TV's were better, but then they cranked out the 'New Apple TV', and things slid back to 'Why did they do that?!?' I've cracked one remote already!