Discontinuation of Mac Pro... possible six-core or dual processor iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MythicFrost, Jun 5, 2012.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I've been thinking about the Mac Pro and the iMac lately, and as the latter has become more and more powerful, I wonder if Apple might discontinue the Pro but offer more powerful processor options for the iMac?

Would it be possible for a dual-processor setup to be done in an iMac's all-in-one form factor? Just a thought, anyone know?

2. Skeith macrumors newbie

well that will depend on if Apple wan that target group to have an all-in-one..

chances are slim though

3. Litany macrumors member

Not going to happen. Pros need internal expansion slots, professional quality parts and a professional non-reflective display. The iMac doesn't have any of that.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

My next update will be from my current iMac top spec to a top spec Pro (assuming Apple don't kill the range off) All that grunt in an all in one enclosure is just a world of pain...Won't happen.

There is only so much you can pack into the iMac case format before you start getting overheating issues. A Pro is a Pro, A tower case designed for heavy work, and customisable...An iMac IMO is something you buy topped out, and that's it...I want a Pro because I can change things without splitting screens etc.

I can't see a 6 core CPU working in the iMacs current enclosure.

5. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'm coming from the perspective that the Mac Pro's likely to be discontinued, and it's better to have a six-core (or dual six-core) processor option in an iMac than no choice at all.

You can make do with external slots for some things, the iMac is of no less quality than the Mac Pro (unless you're talking about Xeons, but then the dual-processor models would need Xeons anyway), and the latter is subjective although it's rumoured the next iMac's will have anti-reflective glass.
    The heat should be more than manageable in a 27 inch chassis with 90 TDP processors.
    I'm not so sure about that. The 27 inch models can dissipate heat very well so a six-core should be fine, and even dual 90 TDP processors. The customisation is really the thing about the Mac Pro that can't be replaced in an iMac.

>>>>>

I think it's quite likely that we'll see the six-core i7 3820 3.6GHz as an option in the high end 27 inch model, if Apple discontinues the Mac Pro, otherwise it's unlikely but still possible I guess.

EDIT: Scratch that. I just realised that there aren't any six-core Ivy's available yet, so that's definitely a no imo.

6. cirus macrumors 6502a

Um the i7 3820 is a quad core processor.

The computer is already hot enough, I doubt they can increase the TDP much more.

7. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Ah my bad! The i7 3930k 3.2GHz would be the six-core, but again I don't expect them to use Sandy Bridge CPUs so my previous point is moot anyway.

It does get hot yes, but it's still well within thermal spec. I still think it could handle a six-core though. Doesn't matter anyway.

8. leman macrumors 604

No, it won't be possible. No place for that.

9. Litany macrumors member

Last I checked, the MacPro is still for sale.

No it isn't.

10. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

You know? Awesome. Look guys, Tim Cook has a MR account. :rolleyes:

11. Litany macrumors member

12. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Yeah, but remember I'm talking about it being discontinued... so it wouldn't be in the week or so.

It's not "blind shotgun guessing", Digitimes reported it so it's a possibility.

>>>>>

Anyway, there's solid news about the Mac Pro being updated so... I'm glad!

13. Litany macrumors member

They are a completely invalid source. They have been wrong on almost every single "rumor" they pulled out of their rear ends.

14. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

They don't have the best track record but they are correct sometimes, IIRC. We'll see soon enough anyway.

15. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

Idk about all these mac pro rumors saying the item is not on stock or available until the 12th,

But as usual my local Apple and Bestbuy has all items.

16. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I guess you have some high idea of what a "rumor" is then:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rumor

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If you look at what HP did, they went with the theory of an AIO workstation, yet they still capped it with a Xeon E3-1280, and that's a company that focuses heavily on workstations.

Heat and space are huge factors. Every AIO to this point has used mobile graphics and capped out below the really power hungry cpus. If they wanted to make one right now, the available cpus would be 130W sandy bridge E packages like the one you listed. The Ivy Bridge ones you mentioned aren't due out until possibly the second half of next year, and with gpus, AMD and NVidia are still kicking out 200W monsters unless you go with those designed for gaming laptops. If Haswell starts to see desktop hex core cpus, those would be the likely candidates next year.

18. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Yeah but Apple has an i7 2600 AND the 6970M which is a 75-100w GPU. And they do that without the fans pushing past 1k RPM too. I think they could make a six-core work somehow.

19. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

I don't understand why people think that the cpu is the only thing that matters to people.

20. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I made a mistake by purchasing a top of the line 2011 iMac. It was great when it worked. Feels just like a MacPro (well, almost) and 6970M is decent too. Upgraded the RAM to 12GB, I was using it intensively for gaming, working, editing. And it was fast.

But yeah, several months later the display getting dirty and smudged (common problem actually). And it came back again months later, and 2 weeks ago I had to brought it back again since it cant get past white screen while booting.

WTF .. 3 consecutive problems in less than a year old machine?!! :mad: .. Now the MacPro has showed a life sign, I really really feel more sorry for purchasing an iMac. What can I do really? It was the best Mac I could buy. MacPro was an outdated $2500 machine (without display) when I bought my iMac. You wouldnt buy it either, would you? :(

Maybe it's just me having a bad luck with my iMac. But I do think iMac is more likely and easily to have a problem more than a MacPro could.
    So yeah, rather than speculating about 6core iMac, I'd rather go with the new MacPro, they're being updated soon and that makes it worth every penny.

21. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Spot of bad luck I think!

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I didn't realize the fan speeds were that low, although people on here do mention how hot they get. The other issue would be that these cpus use a different chipset. There are certain compromises that you tolerate with a machine like an imac. I have to wonder if the adoption rates would be high enough if such adjustments pushed the price up considerably.

23. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I don't think that, but for workstation users the CPU is extremely important.
    Ah man that sucks! It sounds like you've had a bad run with yours. I've got the 2011 21.5 inch iMac and it's running flawlessly. Enjoy the Mac Pro though, it's a great system xD

Did you buy AppleCare for your iMac?
    Indeed they're practically silent. That's true, it's hard to say what it would cost them but the six-core 3.3GHz i7 3930K is quite pricey.