Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ClassicMac247

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Brick, NJ
What are peoples opinions towards a new ATV at Macworld S.F? For me i find it very likely because it would be unexpected. Theres all hype about a sub notebook, which is very possible, but no talk towards atv, will they discontinue it?

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
I don't think Apple with discontinue TV because it has a lot of potential. It just wasn't fully done the right way when apple released it. With a solid update at MW like Blu-ray and DVR and some other features, it has the potential to become a great product.

thesdx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2007
Apple never discontinues stuff that's only been out a year. Infact, the Apple TV will probably be updated at Macworld. DVR, movie rentals, Blu-Ray, and iPod/iPhone compatibility would make it the most popular set top box around.

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Apple never discontinues stuff that's only been out a year. Infact, the Apple TV will probably be updated at Macworld. DVR, movie rentals, Blu-Ray, and iPod/iPhone compatibility would make it the most popular set top box around.

I dont see them doing this at all. Also if they were to it wouldnt be done at a show or anything. Never announce the bad. They would jusst silently do it. Like the iSight.

Kevin :apple:

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
The :apple:TV has a lot of potential, but it is only as good as the service it delivers. What Apple needs (IMHO), is some sort of subscription based unlimited video service. Cheap, on-demand TV with a great selection. People want to own their music, but I think video is a different beast.

If ABC can stream HD quality TV shows to your home for free (ok, couple ads), then I am sure Apple could figure out the same for movies...

Cave Man

macrumors 604
What Apple needs (IMHO), is some sort of subscription based unlimited video service. Cheap, on-demand TV with a great selection.

Or just pay-as-you-go. Both should be available, since it's only software for accounting.

If ABC can stream HD quality TV shows to your home for free (ok, couple ads), then I am sure Apple could figure out the same for movies...

Considering ABC is owned by Disney, and Stevie's on the Disney BOD, I wouldn't be too surprised it this happened. But ABC will need some revenue - perhaps commercials or monthly service fee. One problem, though, is that I can get ABC free in digital through my antenna and Eye TV Hybrid. But that's on a Mac Mini, not an ATV.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
I doubt we are going to see Blu Ray on the ATV. However, I fully expect HD content on iTunes and a software update. A major hardware update? Unlikely.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
What are peoples opinions towards a new ATV at Macworld S.F? For me i find it very likely because it would be unexpected. Theres all hype about a sub notebook, which is very possible, but no talk towards atv, will they discontinue it?

No. I don't think Apple's ready to give up on it--video-on-demand via the internet is still a huge open question that Apple would like to be the answer to. Apple TV might still help them get there.

Besides, why would Apple use MW, their premier consumer event, to cancel a product, this highlighting a mistake? Better to let it die quietly in March or something (but again, I don't think they're going to go that).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.