Discontinued?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shannonbrooke, Jul 28, 2011.

1. shannonbrooke macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is the MacBook (regular, white MacBook) now discontinued? I was going to buy it, but I went to the Apple website just now and there was no mention of it. Only has MB Pro and MB Air listed.

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes. Maybe BestBuy or BHPhoto or some other retailer still has some stock, as the MB is now only available via education channels or the Refurbished Store.

3. shannonbrooke thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

So they're not planning on releasing any new MB's in the future? Damn, bad news for me.

4. simsaladimbamba

It seems that way, as Apple doesn't kill a product (removing it from the store and the Apple site) to reintroduce it later.
    The MBA sells more units than the MB does and Apple deems them to be the right successor.

5. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

This seems to be the most RETARDED move ever.

Lets see, we'll make our cheapest notebook with a smaller screen and less memory, and make the equivalent cost almost twice as much....

Lame

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Same amount of memory, both base models start with 2 GB RAM. The 11" screen has a slightly higher resolution, so you're not actually loosing any screen real estate.

I'm on the fence about this move, but it's not anywhere close to as bad as a lot of people are making it out to be.

7. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

If you want a few USB's and an optical drive you have to get a MBP though. Those are entry level features which I think should be available on an entry level model.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Says the person with an i7 13" MBA. It didn't stop you from buying it, why would it stop other people? ;)

In all seriousness, it would be nice to have more USB ports, but that's what a hub is for. You hardly ever need more than one while on the go, and if you're the kind of person who does, you likely are outside the target demographic. I can't remember the last time I needed an optical drive while out and about.

The Air is about portability and sacrificing all else. The MBP is only $200 more. If you can spend $1000 on a laptop, you can likely spend $1200 on a laptop.

The features you mentioned are entry level for a normal laptop. They are considerable detriments to any laptop aspiring to the ultra-portable level, which the Air most definitely is.

9. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

Two USB is not enough?

The optical drive add-on is $79.

The only real problem I see is the 64GB of storage. Maybe Apple should have kept the hard drive option available until 128GB became more economical.

10. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I only need to wait for the supply of repair / replacement trackpads integrated with the MacBook to run out, and then when I take my POS faulty one in, maybe I'll get insta-upgraded to a MBA? :D

11. scarboni21 macrumors regular

If they run out the they will just make/order some more.