Discontinuing the Pro line?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamthedudeman, Jun 8, 2012.

?

Are the Air and MacBook Pro lines merging?

Poll closed Jul 8, 2012.
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  2. No

48 vote(s)
    64.9%
  3. Yes but not yet.

22 vote(s)
    29.7%
  1. iamthedudeman, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/08...ird-macbook-line-with-retina-display-at-wwdc/

Seems that the 'Macbook' line may be called 'Macbooks' once again.

The Macbook line is merging. The Air and Pro line are becoming one. This is going to happen sooner than later. This makes sense. Once Apple can provide the power of the MBP in a thinner form factor as the Air for the whole line up, the lines will merge.

Steve said the Air form factor is the future, and he was right. The 'pro' moniker is likely going to the way side. We will see next week.

Is the 'Pro line' moniker going away? The Air too? Will we be left with just "Macbooks'. Will we see a 15 inch Macbook this week. And not a Pro?

(And no there isn't another thread like this one, nor is it a duplicate thread on the MacBook Pro line being discontinued)

2. emacna1 macrumors regular

No need for another thread. There has been an on-going discussion about this for the past couple hours here.

3. ahdickter macrumors 6502

Good for you. You're special and smarter than everyone else.

4. iamthedudeman, Jun 8, 2012

iamthedudeman thread starter macrumors 65816

5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

6. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

1. This didn't deserve a thread of its own.
    2. You got wrong what the analyst suggests.
    3. What he predicts is very unlikely anyway.
    4. I don't know why you say "once again" like there has ever been a single MacBook line.

7. iamthedudeman, Jun 8, 2012

1). The MacBook Pro line going away doesn't deserve a thread of it's own? I don't know what does. As this forum is a "MacBook Pro' forum.

2.) What did I get wrong exactly? I am stating my opinion.

3.) Your opinion.

4.)I was referring to just the 'Macbook' name coming back. Not just the line. And there has been a single 'macbook' line. They came in white and black, and one unibody that they renamed a 'pro'. But I get your meaning, that there was not just one line of Apple laptops.

To my knowledge there isn't a thread on the Mac pro line going away save for this one, a 'redesign' thread, and a 13 inch Pro discontinued thread.

Like I said, I started like five threads since 2007. It isn't like I don't know when threads are repetitive. But this is ridiculous.

8. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

Does this mean that MacRumors will be merging the three notebook forum sections into one?? :eek:

9. jcpb macrumors 6502a

1.) http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1362115 ... and that's just one of dozens of threads on the very same topic. We really don't need another one like this thread.

2 and 3.) Speculation is just that, speculation. Many predictions turn out to be wrong. You're reading too much into it.

4.) Apple dropped the original Macbook line after giving the Air a 11" model. It will be quite a stretch to apply the Air's design aesthetics to the 15", never mind the 17" - imagine how ridiculous the 17" will look like with MBA styling.

In the near term Apple is unlikely to merge both MBA and MBP lines, and it is even more unlikely to muddy its laptop lineup further with a third (with little differentiation over existing lines).

10. iamthedudeman, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

1).This thread is unlike the one you posted, that was strickly for the 17 inch model. Again, not the same thing. There is another thread if the 13 is being redesigned or not. The other thread is talking about the 2012 MBP redesign. Not the whole MBP line being phased out as is reported by the analysts. There is a thread from last year about the future of the Macbook Pro line that comes close.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1263494&highlight=macbook+pro+line+being+phased+out

Show me where a dozen threads exist about this topic? Or just one.

He states that the Pro line is being phased out, not just the 17, which is a given if you read mac rumors at all in the new form factor, now the Pro 17 might continue in it's current form as well as the whole Pro line in the short term. I will chalk that up to newbie status for you don't worry. ;)

2).Speculation, I don't think so. I am talking about the entire Pro line being phased out. The link you provided is talking strickly about the 17 model. Not the whole line.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._new_macbook_series_at_wwdc_insiders_say.html

3).This guy's track record is better than speculation. It makes sense that they are going to merge the lines, that is a given. As thermal power designs go down, laptops will get slimmer, no need for two different lines with the same amount of processing power.

4) Why would it be hard to give the 15 new Macbook or whatever it will be called if not a Pro the same profile as the Air. I don't see any reason why it would be at all. Asus is doing it, and you say Apple can't. I don't think so. Not only will they do that, the whole line will be thin as the Air, not necessarily the same profile right off the bat. But who knows. Only Apple at this point.

11. 7DSniper macrumors regular

Oh nooooo, haha nice one

12. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Wow! Hostility deluxe! So what if there's more than one thread on a topic? :cool:

13. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

This will not happen. THey will just make it so that the pro line is more powerful or has more options to upgrade. People like choices and I think apple realizes that one laptop can not please everyone

14. iamthedudeman, Jun 8, 2012

Has it ever occurred to you that I may know some things that you don't? Or I may just be smarter than you. Who knows. :rolleyes:

I own and operate a marketing firm, and talk with vendors in Apple's supply chain, and I am hearing the same thing as what is 'leaked' by these analysts.

15. iamthedudeman thread starter macrumors 65816

By the leaks and the reports, that seems not to be the case in the long term. If Processors are getting smaller and smaller, GPU getting smaller and smaller and Laptops getting thinner and thinner. It's only a matter of time before there isn't a difference on what thermal envelope you can fit in a thin laptop form factor.

Once that happens what benefit would it be to Apple to have two seperate lines that are thin and do the same thing? Only it will add to the production costs.

You can differentiate between laptops within the same line enough to please everyone. We may see three different lines come next week, but apparently that will dwindle down to only one line once they can provide the same power of the pro in the form factor of the Air.

But that is atleast a year or two away. If the Air line is getting more powerful, and the MBP is getting thinner what do you think is going to happen? You can only make a laptop so thin. The key is to provide a powerfull laptop but in a thin form factor. And you will see that next week with at least one model.

16. iamthedudeman thread starter macrumors 65816

Exactly, especially when the thread in question doesn't exist and is non redundant. When Apple introduces a new "MacBook' line of laptops then the writing will be on the wall. Some people need to let the moderators do their job instead of them trying to all be moderators. We have good moderators here that know what they are doing. Very good ones that make this board so good. If you don't feel like you want to comment, don't. If you feel that this thread is redundant, don't post. Simple as that.

Mon I will bump this thread and give a big phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

To all the sour pusses. :D