Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm running 10.14.6 on an older Mac and I occasionally use Discord. The Discord company advised that they would no longer offer Discord updates for 10.14 from mid-March.

However, I just tried to open it and it updated anyway... and then failed to start, saying that it needs at least 10.15. Has anyone else run into this problem? How can I revert to the 10.14-compatible version and stop it from trying to update again?

risswex

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2024
Seattle
You can also block Discord updates by blocking the update server in your hosts file via Terminal.
Bash:
sudo nano /etc/hosts

Add the following line at the end of the file: [CODE]0.0.0.0 discordapp.com

Save the file by pressing Ctrl + O, then press Enter, and exit Nano by pressing Ctrl + X.
Restart Discord and it should now be running the older version compatible with macOS 10.14.6.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
If you're not doing anything fancy (i.e. BetterDiscord), then the web browser version's always a possible option

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Thanks everyone. I'd contacted their support but posted here as well, not expecting a helpful answer. They actually got back to me with an official fix, which I haven't tried yet, but I'll post it once I've confirmed it.

Edit: I hadn't actually read the steps for the official fix. They're not particular detailed, and in particular steps 3 and 5 are very vague. I couldn't find the step 5 link on their site at all and had to use the one that bogdanw provided above. It does appear to work though!

I'm sorry to hear you've encountered this issue with your Mac on version 10.14. This is indeed a known issue and we're sorry for the inconvenience it's causing. In order to restore the 10.14-compatible client and stop it from trying to update again, you can try the following steps:

1. Close Discord completely. Make sure there are no processes related to Discord running in the background.
2. Uninstall Discord from your computer.
3. After uninstalling, go to the Library folder and locate any files or folders related to Discord. Move these to the Trash.
4. Restart your computer.
5. Download Discord again from our official website (make sure to select the version compatible with MacOS 10.14) and install it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.