Discount offered during call to Apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by creative78, Nov 8, 2007.

1. creative78 macrumors regular

creative78

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz system soon and have been reading around trying to find the best way to purchase it. Having looked at Amazon.com (150 rebate is pretty good), I ended up having some questions. Amazon still shows that the included software is 10.4 Tiger, so I called to check if that was just outdated information that had not been updated yet. The Amazon rep was unsure so she told me to call and ask Apple.

So I called Apple and eventually got through to the right person who told me that it would be highly likely I would receive Tiger and have to purchase Leopard at the full retail cost (no definite drop in upgrade as they are a 3rd party supplier).

The Apple agent asked what the deal was at Amazon, so I told her the system would be $1849 with free shipping (with the rebate), she offered to sell me the Macbook Pro at $200 off (1799) and obviously get Leopard. Is that normal?

Of course the problem I have (after reading Apple's terms) is that I cannot use my CC to purchase the system over the phone as it's not from a US based bank (I'm on a 3 months work related trip to the US).

Is there any chance that one of the Apple retail stores would honor this offer?

2. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

No chance. Apple phone reps work on commission and have some pricing latitude. What you did is what everyone should do when they buy a Mac ... ask about a model that's been out for at least a few months and call a salesperson, don't ever order from Apple.com. And it helps if you've done your homework. Amazon is a good start, Macmall and PowerMax too.

3. creative78 thread starter macrumors regular

creative78

Thanks for the reply chicagdan. I kinda guessed that would be the case, but figured it was worth checking for other opinions.

Is there a chance that if I did purchase the unit from Amazon it would not come with a drop-in Leopard disk? It seems unfair to make a customer purchase Leopard at full retail price having bought the unit after the release date and after the Apple up-to-date program has expired.

4. kylep6190 macrumors member

So if I say that I can buy a macbook on macmall for $1,394 + printer, paralels, and a case and free shipping whereas on the apple.com store it will be about $1500 + a free printer, they will give me a discount?

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The Up-To-Date program does not expire until December 29, by which time Amazon, et al, should no longer have any units that do not have Leopard installed/shipped in the box. Apple is quite generous with the timing for that program to make sure just such a situation does not happen. While the Apple Rep got you a good deal, she did mislead you in suggesting that you would have to buy a full retail copy if you purchased from Amazon.

jW

6. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Oh, the Apple guy was lying to you about that ... Up To Date applies to Amazon and other retailers. From the Amazon site:

Special Offer: Receive an upgrade to Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard from Apple for a small fee when you purchase an eligible new Apple notebook or desktop computer that does not already have Leopard installed. Offer good on purchases between October 1, 2007, and December 29, 2007. See details.

7. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

That's what I was thinking. You may not get a drop in upgrade disc but you should certainly qualify for the free upgrade (just pay $10 shipping).

8. creative78 thread starter macrumors regular

creative78

Thanks again for all the replies. I was a bit confused by the Apple reps statement about the up-to-date program.

Depending on how "new" Amazons stock is, I suppose I could end up getting a unit that already has the drop-in upgrade disc in the box. Does Amazon generally move through their stock quickly? or from people experiences are the computers older stock?

9. creative78 thread starter macrumors regular

creative78

Just an update. After speaking with Amazon, it turns out it's likely I would end up not getting the drop-in Leopard update, so I decided to purchase from the nearest Apple store (2 hours away).

I managed to get an 8% discount, because I work for a company that apple offers discounts to.

Very pleased with my new Macbook Pro, except I managed to get a unit where the store had not added the Leopard update disc! What's the chances of that :rolleyes:

Since the store is quite a long drive away, they are going to send the missing disc to me via UPS/Fedex, so all should be well.

Thanks for the tips and advice. :)

10. mm1250 macrumors 6502

Yea I'm guessing $200 discount isn't hard to get from Apple considering you can just goto the Apple EDU store site and buy it $200 cheaper without showing any identification.

11. creative78 thread starter macrumors regular

creative78

One final followup -

I got the missing disc today, the Apple store kindly sent me a full retail version of Leopard, so I'm happy. :)

12. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

Nice observation.