Discount On iPhone...

cl601amt

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I just saw that AmEx has a 20% discount on points used this month, so I was about to order a gift card for a 32GB iphone for myself. My boss then tells me he is considering getting a company phone for me, probably a BB. Now I need to wait and see what happens there before I order the card. I really want the iphone (I have an old cingular 3125 right now), but would take a free phone instead.

At least I have until Aug 31st to take advantage of the 20% discount.

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Did you check to see any limitations on that such as only applicable at certain participating locations and price limits?

cl601amt

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Did you check to see any limitations on that such as only applicable at certain participating locations and price limits?

What kind of gift card? Apple or AT&T?
It is an Apple gift card for $299, redeemable at any Apple store or Apple online.
Apple charges my card the $299 for the card, then AmEx takes 20% less rewards points to credit that amount back.

alleyooptroop

macrumors regular
May 4, 2010
It is an Apple gift card for $299, redeemable at any Apple store or Apple online.
Apple charges my card the $299 for the card, then AmEx takes 20% less rewards points to credit that amount back.
But you have to have enough points to get the 20% back, correct? If you don't have enough points you won't qualify?

cl601amt

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
But you have to have enough points to get the 20% back, correct? If you don't have enough points you won't qualify?
here is what their website says:
If you do not have enough points for you entire purchase, don’t worry. Partial points allow you to pay part of your purchase by redeeming available points and charging the remainder, if any, to your Card.

You must have a Membership Rewards eligible Card with at least 2 points available in your program account to make a shopAmex® redemption or purchase.
Not sure how that will affect the 20% if you don't have enough.
You can also get a $199 card if you have enough points for that, I think it was 31,XXX points with the discount, then pay the extra at the store if you want the 32GB.

cl601amt

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Finally heard from my boss, and I will not be getting a corporate blackberry. The fact that I did not have a business phone has been a burr under my sadle for 5 years, now I am glad I am not getting a BB.
Ordered my 32GB gift card at a 20% fewer AmEx points tonight. Excited, but now I have to wait to get the gift card, then wait to get the phone. With any luch they will have them at the Plaza store when I get the card.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Finally heard from my boss, and I will not be getting a corporate blackberry. The fact that I did not have a business phone has been a burr under my sadle for 5 years, now I am glad I am not getting a BB.
Ordered my 32GB gift card at a 20% fewer AmEx points tonight. Excited, but now I have to wait to get the gift card, then wait to get the phone. With any luch they will have them at the Plaza store when I get the card.
Funny situation to be in to be glad you could not get a good freebie, but makes perfect sense. I wouldn't even bother going to another smart phone if I gave up my iPhone, never liked anything else.

cl601amt

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Funny situation to be in to be glad you could not get a good freebie, but makes perfect sense. I wouldn't even bother going to another smart phone if I gave up my iPhone, never liked anything else.
I would have to have a personal cell still, so it is only saving me the data package price, which I expense anyway, so about the only thing I would save is the hassle of expensing it every month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.