Discounted ACD 20" vs. 23"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by md63, May 6, 2009.

1. md63 macrumors 6502

I've been looking for an older ACD for the past month since I thought some deals might be had since they are discontinued. Also, I'm not a big fan of the new glossy displays. I found a couple of deals and was wondering which you would suggest. In terms of size, the 20" would be satisfactory, however, the 23" would be ideal.

1) 20" ACD New in box - $480
    2) 23" ACD Open Box - $395

Since the 23" has been discontinued since last year, I suspect that this may be the store's display model. I have to check it out at the store. The store does say it has the original Apple Care warranty. Is it possible to get information on the unit from Apple based on the S/N? My concern is the 23" unit may have been sitting as a demo for 4+ years. Is it risky to purchase the 23" display or should I just add extended Apple care and take my chances on the open box special?

Thanks for your advice.

2. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

I'd go with the 23" open box item. Since it still has AppleCare on it. It is a good deal. Yeah, you can check the warranty information on a particular unit based on its S/N at Apple's support website.

3. Jozone macrumors 6502

Id root for the 23'' as well, just give it a thorough inspection prior to purchase

4. kalex macrumors 65816

5. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your responses. I went to the store today to buy the 23" and found out why it was such a great price. Since it was open box I was able to hook up my MBP and test the monitor. It was DOA. The store said it had applecare but when I called to confirm coverage Apple said coverage had expired. I guess that explains why it was so cheap.

6. PaulinMaryland macrumors regular

PaulinMaryland

Philips 230W (S-IPS)

The Philips 230W and HP L2335 used the same panel as the original ACD 23. I bought three 230Ws at $200 each on eBay, reconditioned by IBM. I use them side-by-side, all in portrait mode, with L2335 pivot stands. Used 23-inch IPS displays are so affordable, I wouldn't dream of buying a new large-screen monitor unless, of course, you have one of the newer Macs that require a DisplayPort connector. (But surely there are adapters?)