Discounted Legal Music

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by liamkp, Jul 8, 2010.

1. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Is anybody using this? If not can anyone recommend a site that has free LEGAL music? I would rather not pay $1 per song when I'm probably going to have about 500.

2. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

I know eMusic always has free trial offers for like 50 or 75 free songs. & After your trial songs are still reasonable. I don't think they are 99 cents...

3. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I have put many songs on mine using Limewire. Never had an issue with it. Have also went to the library and loaded many CD's into it. You can get 50 of them for three weeks at a time and its free.

4. liamkp thread starter macrumors 68020

liamkp

Legal. Limewire isnt legal... is it? I dont think so... Thanks.

Do you know the exact price? Thanks.

Actually, i have a ton of CD's. So probably about maybe 100 are coming from that. And actually i think i went over like 200. So i think i'll have about 300 actually.

I just looked at eMusic and its 15 songs free at signup and then 5 free songs every month for 3 months. And then its 50 cents per song after that which is better, but thats still 100 bucks i'd like to keep...

It said starting at $11.99 for 24 songs. Does it get cheaper if i buy more?

I think i might just use the free songs if i find something cheaper.

Their lowest is $.36 be track.

Sorry for all the edits.

5. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

It has a disclaimer that it asks you, though it is brief. Ive been using it for many years. There isnt a "legal" FREE download site. Limewire is as close as it gets and its been around a LONG time. So has iMesh but i dont like it.
    Limewire actually has a "pro" version where you do pay, but why pay?

6. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

If you have multiple credit/debit cards, you can sign up for a trial with one, use the free songs and then cancel the membership. Then sign up with another card and repeat.

I lost my debit card once and had to get a new one, so I decided to get some more free songs by making a new account. :rolleyes:

7. liamkp thread starter macrumors 68020

liamkp

I would prefer eMusic, thanks though.

Are there any websites that have songs cheaper than $.36?

8. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I haven't used limewire for years now. If you want songs there are thousands of blogs that host music for free. I type in the song name on google and the word "blogspot" and it will almost certainly bring up your tracks on blogs with various download links rapidshare, megaupload, 4shared etc.

If you also want your music in the best mp3 quality you will want to include in the search term the word "320kbs" that is the highest quality mp3 encoding.

If you want to pay there are various sites for legal downloading iTunes does not have any music in 320kbs that I'm aware of.

9. liamkp thread starter macrumors 68020

liamkp

Hmmmm...

I guess im not looking for free legal music, but more discounted music.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

11. liamkp thread starter macrumors 68020

liamkp

12. MHaynes772 macrumors member

Look, just want to voice my opinion. I am in the music industry and this is the exact reason record sales and music sales are in a catastrophic fall. Downloading music illegally is absolutely no different than if a person would come into your restaurant and walk out on the tab, or come into your store and take what they want and just leave. How pissed off would you be if people did this and there was nothing you could do about it?

I know this isn't going to stop you from downloading, but seriously think about it. It's only .99 for a song. That's it. That's not that bad considering what it cost to make that song.

13. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

I was married to a professional singer, and I couldn't agree more.

I'd be genuinely interested to know how many of the software developers around here expect to be paid for their efforts, but are quite happy to find free music downloads?

The (corporate) music industry does need to wake up and smell the coffee though and do something to make those who'd usually be happy to pay for music feel they're getting value for money.

14. chris.robison macrumors regular

Besides something like Pandora, are any of them free and legal?
    That defeats the purpose, therefore, I suggest you listen to the radio.

15. liamkp thread starter macrumors 68020

liamkp

There isnt FM on the iPod Touch (what im going to use), unless the 4G does. So far im sticking with eMusic.

16. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

The 'music industry' pulled out numbers for illegal download sales lost from their behind when asked by the FCC to reproduce those numbers. Singers/musicians/actors are overpaid. Doctors are underpaid. Anyway, sales are not 'catastrophically' low as you mentioned. The 'battle' here is on the limitation of rights to someone who has purchased music. If I buy an album from iTunes, am I allowed to share it with my friends? Technically I should be able to since I did purchase the rights to the music. However, the 'music industry' (since I'm not sure who I'm referring to) wants only the original purchaser to have the content. Aka they do not want you to be able to share it with others. It's absolutely ridiculous on what they're asking. In analogy, as you said, it's like buying a cheesecake for desert and not being able to share it with your significant other over dinner ;)

17. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

18. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

Rhapsody was OK, I used it a few months ago, but they added an update that made it too hard to use so I canceled it.

19. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

You aren't going to get free music legally other than the odd free MP3. Good luck with that.

20. liamkp thread starter macrumors 68020

liamkp

I dont want to subscribe to a monthly fee. How much are individual Napster songs? Amazon songs are $1, so eMusic so far.

Is anybody using this? Its supposed to be legal and free.

21. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

just start torrenting... all the cool kids are doing it now!

Makes your epeen grow 2x bigger than limewire.

22. liamkp thread starter macrumors 68020

liamkp

LEGAL.

23. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Torrents themselves are not illegal... maybe you should brush up on the legality issues.

Just think... epeen sizes!

24. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

In this context, unless you're talking about the odd band that distributes via torrents, its fairly obvious that torrenting music is not for legal reasons.