Discounted Merom or new Penryn?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dash93, Mar 31, 2008.

1. dash93 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone -

I need to purchase an Intel Mac notebook in order to run the Windows-only exam software that my school uses. I currently use a loaded last revision 12" PB G4 - which I love. I also have a Rev. A iMac G5 that works well, but has recently started the not waking up from sleep routine.

The form factor of the 12" PB G4 is perfect for me, and I'd really hate to get rid of it. So keeping it would devalue the better portability of the MacBook. Additionally, I have concerns about the shiny screen, viewing angle, and build quality issues (cracked cases, HDD failure, etc.). That being said, the MacBook would fulfill my needs just fine. I've just been used to the pro laptops.

If I choose the MBP instead, then I'd want to go low end - this would be my at home laptop/workhorse. I've seen base 2.2 GHz Merom MBPs on sale for $1499. Apple also offers refurb'd models for $1449 (opinions?). My only real concern is the yellowing screen issue I've heard about - was this resolved in the later Merom models?

Or, I could pony up $300 more and get a Penryn (edu) and it's better battery life and heat reduction. Extra VRAM is not a selling point for me, nor is the extra processor speed. If the screen is substantially better, then this may be a consideration.

No matter what I do, I'll end up with a iMac without any real tasks. Sad.

I'm torn about the whole situation. Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I'm always a fan of buying the best equipment you can at the time - it will have a longer useful life and make more for you on resale.

On your refurb question, the best-kept secret at the apple store is the refurbished mac. You get:

1. Same one-year warranty as new
    2. The computer carries the same eligibility for Apple Care as new
    3. A computer which has undergone two sets of rigorous quality control testing
    4. A savings several times that of any coupon or promo code

Anecdotal evidence on several mac fora indicates a universal pleasure with apple’s refurb work. Users report receiving computers indistinguishable from new (save for the different packaging refurbs receive), and fewer problems than the users of brand new machines. And this makes sense - refurbs have gone through a second and more rigorous testing procedure.

On a personal note, my Apple purchases have been nothing but refurbs for the last several years. I am happy to report that all purchases (both macs and ipods) have been free from any defects and my wallet has been ecstatic.