discounted or no sales tax source for NEW unlocked iphone 5c or 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by meandmyiphone, Dec 12, 2013.

1. meandmyiphone macrumors newbie

Going to TMobile (who isnt discounting, only spreading payments) and seeking a deal on 5c or 5s. Since the cost is the same I'd rather just have straight unlocked (but TM is OK). I cant seem to find any discounts or even a no sales tax option for it other than from someone off of ebay. The discount to buy from whomever on ebay isnt enough for me. I'd just love to find legit retailer @ $50-100 off. Since Boost and Virgin are offering discounted prices, I hoped TM would match but they havent yet.

Thoughts appreciated.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you live in a state that has sales tax then all retailers will charge you sales tax, or am I misunderstanding your post.

I've never see iPhones being discounted. Good luck but I think the market is strong enough that they don't need to entice buyers by lowering the price.

Basically why reduce of a product that is selling well, people will buy it anyways.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think Best buy has a sale for the iphone 5S 16GB for $125 with a 2 year contract.
    The only way you will find no tax purchase is on ebay, CL or amazon. Every physical store in the US is required to charge sales tax.

4. fiat macrumors newbie

Amazon charges sales tax now. PowerMax (in Oregon) does not charge sales tax to any US buyer (sell new mac, ipad, used old iphone only, no new iphone5s/5c though).

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not on every state.
    I just got an order from amazon yesterday and they don't charge sales tax for my location.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Amazon doesn't charge u sales tax as long as they don't have a warehouse in your state. But they are constantly building, so true now maybe untrue tomorrow.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, but there is many states that don't get charged sales tax on amazon.
    I think there is 8-9 states currently that do pay it. But the way it looks that won't last for too long. Uncle Sam needs more money.

8. blarivee macrumors 6502

9. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Uncle Sam's need of money has nothing to do with State Sales Tax.

Just nitpicking ... I do get your point.

In addition to Delaware, New Hampshire does not have a sales tax either. And I may be wrong, but I thought Oregon didn't either.

EDIT - looks like Montana and Alaska have no sales tax either. If the OP lived near any of these states, he could purchase there. Although, if the OP lived near any of these states, he'd probably know that already.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you on that.
    Its not the federal uncle Sam but the state uncle sam instead. :D
    I'd like to move to a state with no sales tax.