discounted or no sales tax source for NEW unlocked iphone 5c or 5s?

meandmyiphone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Going to TMobile (who isnt discounting, only spreading payments) and seeking a deal on 5c or 5s. Since the cost is the same I'd rather just have straight unlocked (but TM is OK). I cant seem to find any discounts or even a no sales tax option for it other than from someone off of ebay. The discount to buy from whomever on ebay isnt enough for me. I'd just love to find legit retailer @ $50-100 off. Since Boost and Virgin are offering discounted prices, I hoped TM would match but they havent yet.

Thoughts appreciated.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
If you live in a state that has sales tax then all retailers will charge you sales tax, or am I misunderstanding your post.

I've never see iPhones being discounted. Good luck but I think the market is strong enough that they don't need to entice buyers by lowering the price.

Basically why reduce of a product that is selling well, people will buy it anyways.

fiat

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2013
The only way you will find no tax purchase is on ebay, CL or amazon. Every physical store in the US is required to charge sales tax.
Amazon charges sales tax now. PowerMax (in Oregon) does not charge sales tax to any US buyer (sell new mac, ipad, used old iphone only, no new iphone5s/5c though).

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
Amazon doesn't charge u sales tax as long as they don't have a warehouse in your state. But they are constantly building, so true now maybe untrue tomorrow.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Amazon doesn't charge u sales tax as long as they don't have a warehouse in your state. But they are constantly building, so true now maybe untrue tomorrow.
True, but there is many states that don't get charged sales tax on amazon.
I think there is 8-9 states currently that do pay it. But the way it looks that won't last for too long. Uncle Sam needs more money.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
True, but there is many states that don't get charged sales tax on amazon.
I think there is 8-9 states currently that do pay it. But the way it looks that won't last for too long. Uncle Sam needs more money.
Uncle Sam's need of money has nothing to do with State Sales Tax.

Just nitpicking ... I do get your point.

In addition to Delaware, New Hampshire does not have a sales tax either. And I may be wrong, but I thought Oregon didn't either.

EDIT - looks like Montana and Alaska have no sales tax either. If the OP lived near any of these states, he could purchase there. Although, if the OP lived near any of these states, he'd probably know that already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.