Discounts for using store credit cards

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by senseless, May 22, 2013.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I was in Macy's tonight and did not buy anything because they offered a 15% discount for using their store credit card, which I don't have or want. I've seen this sort of thing in other places and it effectively penalizes a cash buyer or a Visa/Mastercard user. Oh well, they lost me.

2. Radiating macrumors 65816

This is just an incentive to get you to sign up for a credit card. They get a significant amount of money form credit card companies for every one they sell.

3. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

I see there is a way to print Macy's coupons online and use those instead, but why make it so complicated.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Getting discounts for just one place in a credit card is a dumb move. I have a few cards from like CVS and other places that give me points, coupons, etc, but they're free. I used to have B&N and other book store memberships, but they were worthless when you'd only go once or twice a year and end up having to renew due to them already expiring.

I have an Amazon.com Rewards card from my bank. I use it with my savings card and get a point for every dollar spent. So I save a bit of money, and get a little back on ANYTHING I buy. So it works very well.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't have any store credit cards. When I'm asked to open one, I always politely decline.

6. Marthsanta158, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013

Marthsanta158 macrumors newbie

I agree..It is somewhat dumb. Getting discounts only on credit card is really a dumb move. I have a AARP Credit Card and other bank credit cards. I use this credit cards on different places and I get a sufficient cashback and other discounts as well. It save my lot of money. I think Mercy need to update now.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you pay off the credit card after each purchase those discounts makes sense. For the vast majority of consumers that's not the case. I'd rather pay cash and avoid charging but that's just me.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I used to work at Target and we had to push those damn things on customers. Supposed to ask every customer "Would you like to save 10% today by opening up a Target card?"

I once had a dick manager berate me for not asking someone buying a 50 cent candy bar. Same dick manager scolded another employee for not asking someone who appeared to be about 10 years old.

The interest rates on those things are absurd. Higher than your average universal credit card Sometimes higher than 30%. It's just like extended warranties at Best Buy. They're a gold mine for the company so employees are forced to sell them.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Not just you. I only have debit cards and never buy anything on plastic. I use that long forgotten term 'savings' when making any purchase.

----------

I had a Christmas temp job years ago in retail. Minimum wage sort of thing, However we could earn about an extra hours money for everybody we signed up.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

At least you got something. At Target if we got someone to apply, we got a small pat on a back followed by "Now go get more people to apply or else we won't meet our goal" I remember one day I happened to get 3 or 4 without even really trying (the store probably averaged around 10 a day and most days you'd get none. Sometimes go months without getting one. So 4 a day is impressive) and it still wasn't enough. Hell, I remember on my 18th birthday, they pretty much made me apply knowing full well I wouldn't get approved because a denied application still counts towards the goal.

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

Except for purchases that come from our joint bank account, I only use a credit card if I can. I pay it off each month, so no interest on the 'credit' extended for the week or two. It is an AirMiles credit card. So far I've used the points to buy a BBQ, a couple of fancy garden composters, two 37" TVs (which are hooked up to Macs), and few other odds & sods.

It's not the 'credit' in the card, that is dangerous...it's not having control over the finances.

This reminds me... time to go shopping at the AirMiles Store, eh? ;)

12. davidinva macrumors 6502a

This is what we do with one (Kohl's) store card only. When combined with senior discount day (for those of us in that category), savings can be an additional 15% and then another 10% on top of sale prices. The key is to pay it off each month as store revolving interest rates often top 20%

13. MegamanX macrumors regular

I tend to say no. I hate how target ask me every time. I have my 2 cards and I refuse to get more. I pay them off in full every month but last thing I need is more credit cards

14. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

So you see where the stores make their money, eh? This is way I cringe every time the Missus finds something she wants at Macy's. She never pays in full at the end of the month, which pretty much offsets any discount she got from the sale. I've taken over making the payment (My money is OUR money; her money is HER money;)) and the discount are actual discounts.