Discounts - is it possible to get something Ex Vat with a student discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by themightyshrub, Feb 26, 2008.

1. themightyshrub macrumors newbie

Hi all.

I'm thinking about buying an fairly high-spec iMac in the next few months (probably when the updates come out), but being the poor student that I am, I can't really afford the high prices.

I'm aware that I can get student discount on my purchase, and being that I'm going to be using the computer to do some work for a family friend who is self employed, I am also going to be able to get it VAT free, but my question is whether I can get both discounts, or whether it's a case of either/or?

When looking on the apple store for education, it gives the student discounted prices and the student discounted prices ex VAT, but I don't know if this is just because that's how the prices are displayed in all Apple stores, or if it means it's possible to get both.

Also, I'm buying in the UK (I don't know if that's going to make a difference or not, probably does)

Cheers for any light you can shed for me

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

its only one discount per purchase. so you cant combine discounts.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

It is illegal for anyone to sell you a product without Value Added Tax unless that product is in a VAT-free category, such as children's clothing.

Anyone purchasing you a product "VAT Free" is breaking the law. It's people like you that mean the rest of us have to put up with rises in tax in other areas. I assume that said person will purchase the item through a company account and then fail to declare it this April.

4. themightyshrub thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, if bought buy somebody who is self employed, and the item is to be used for business purposes (which it is) then it's perfectly legal. I don't fully understand the process, but I think it goes something along the lines of buying the item and then getting the tax back through tax rebate in April

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Yeah but it's not a business item, as in it won't be the business's property. Pretty unlikely that you'd get caught doing this but it is still not right.

6. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

not sure about the legality of even if its possible. but it certainly isnt a 'double discount, educational discount is one discount, and not paying VAT is nothing to do with Apple, it is to do with being VAT registered!!

so you certainly wouldnt run into any problems about double discounting