Discounts starting next week?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weizilla, Feb 14, 2008.

1. weizilla macrumors regular

My university has it's own computer store which is a licensed reseller of apple products has everything is priced at educational prices. I called them up and asked them about the black macbook, which is priced at $1399, to see if they would still charge sales tax on it if I use my university student account to pay for it.

The rep said that there's no way around the sales tax but that there might be some discounts coming early next week for the black macbook and 15" macbook pro to help offset the sales tax. I asked him if it's still going to be on the same model and he says he thinks so. He doesn't know how much the discount will be but he said that he will e-mail me once he hears more.

Has anyone heard rumors of anything going on next week? Is it possible for college and universities to offer mac products below the apple educational discount allows? My school tries to suck every single dollar from the students so hopefully this is Apple lowering the MSRP prices.

2. Paix247 macrumors 6502

I just checked my University's online store, and they have a clearance section too. Its full of previous generation Apple computers, such as the 2GHz MacBook (mid-2007) as well as older computers that they haven't sold. I even saw a 17" iMac G5 and a 1.67GHz Powerbook for $899!

Anyway... I think that my school only puts something on clearance when a new model comes out, and they seem to be on top of what is new and what is old. Its probably a good sign if something is going on sale next week. I'll email my school and see if they know of any discounts.

3. angrygolfer macrumors 6502

Interestingly enough, I was just at a local Best Buy and they had the Blackbook on-sale for $1199. It is not reflected on their website, but in the store thats what is was priced at. The white one was still $1299...

4. luffx macrumors regular

I don't think I've ever heard ":apple: + Discounts" in the same sentence. :D

5. Paix247 macrumors 6502

Funny.
    How about Apple Education Discounts, :apple: Business Discounts, :apple: Governemnt Discounts, :apple: Refurb Discounts, :apple: Previous Model Discounts (aka "Clearance")...

Anyway, my University responded to my email with a big NO on any expected discounts.

6. freakinandre macrumors newbie

i got my black macbook for $1099 before taxes at a university bookstore. awesome deal! don't know why they had such a big discount. It was brand new and had leopard pre-installed.

7. weizilla thread starter macrumors regular

$1200 is a really really good price for the blackbook... esp if it's SR with leopard.

8. takeabyteoutta macrumors 6502

best-buy must of mispriced the blackbook. discounts, best buy and apple ever rarely go hand in hand, but i've seen lots of items get mispriced at best buys, circuit city, etc.