Discover Card AND Back to School?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Matt Phoenix, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Matt Phoenix macrumors regular

So, I'm graduating at the end of the summer. I've had my iBook for 3 and a half years and it's still going strong. A while back, I told myself that I'd buy a new MacBook as a reward for getting through school. Now that Apple is offering a 13 inch MacBook Pro + Free iPod Touch + Free Printer, it seems like this is the time to buy.

Also, Discover typically offers 5% cashback for purchases off the Apple Store's website. However, I was reading the fineprint for the Discover offer and it said "Offer is not valid in combination with any other offers." My interpretation would be that I couldn't use a coupon code or something of the like, and not so much the electronic rebate that Apple offers. Of course, I could be wrong.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Were you or anyone you know able to get the back to school deal plus the 5% cashback? If that's the case, then I'll buy my new Mac tonight! If not, well, perhaps before the end of the summer.

2. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Only guessing but I think it could work... to DISCOVER it's just like any other purchase you would make from Apple... they wouldn't see the rebate. Nor that you are using a student discount.

3. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I'm guessing Discover would treat it like any other normal purchase.

4. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

+1

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They mean any other offers that THEY may have available.

6. Matt Phoenix thread starter macrumors regular

*smacks self* Apparently, the most obvious answer is the one I missed. Thanks everyone.

So, just double checking: if I buy a MBP, I can get the rebate for both the printer AND the iPod Touch?

7. mrj205 macrumors regular

sure can

8. Matt Phoenix thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks! I placed my order and am rather excited to get my hands on a new Mac!

It just seemed like such a great deal to get a free iPod Touch. But then they offer a free printer. And to top it all off, Discover is like "Hey, here's free money!" Almost too good to be true. But it is. :cool:

9. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

I am not sure if it works. In order to get the 5% from Discover, you have to use their special referral link to the Online Apple Store, but I am not sure if that referral information moves over to the Online Apple Higher Education Store or not. Might want to call Discover to make sure.

10. eddiehaskell macrumors regular

Does anyone know for sure if this works?? Better yet, has anyone got cashback from when purchasing from the edu store?

11. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

I think it should work...i ordered my 13" macbook pro using the discovercard link and I also have the upromise toolbar for my son's 529 plan. so it should work out like this:

5% Discovercard cashback
    1% Upromise cashback
    Free iPod Touch
    Free Printer

I don't think there is anyway to get a better deal then that....if there is somebody point it out so other can take advantage.

12. Matt Phoenix thread starter macrumors regular

It won't show up until after the statement, so not totally sure. If I do get the full 5% back, it'll be one helluva deal.

13. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

You get the promo's everywhere. I'd buy from Amazon and save the 5-9%
    sales taxes depending on where you are. That more than offsets the Discover deal. Also, Discover usually caps the deal to a fixed amount like $50-which means if you spend more than a thousand it isn't nearly as good. ($1000 x .05=$50).

14. eddiehaskell macrumors regular

I'm planning on buying the macbook on the back-to-school tax free holiday....getting an extra 5% off would be nice.