Discover Cashback Debit Cards Now Work With Apple Pay

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 11, 2018 at 7:29 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Discover today announced that its Cashback Debit card can now be used with Apple Pay.

[​IMG]

Discover Cashback Debit cards are issued to customers with a Discover online checking account. Cardholders will continue to receive 1% cashback on up to $3,000 in qualifying debit card purchases each month when paying with Apple Pay.

To use the card with Apple Pay, simply open the Wallet app on a compatible iPhone and tap on the plus symbol in the top-right corner. Then, position the card within the camera viewfinder, or tap on Enter Card Details Manually.

Discover credit cards have worked with Apple Pay since September 2015, with support for redeeming cashback bonuses added last year.

In related news, pharmacy chain CVS has completed its rollout of Apple Pay in the United States. Wholesale retailer Costco and convenience store chain 7-Eleven also recently began accepting Apple Pay in the United States.

Article Link: Discover Cashback Debit Cards Now Work With Apple Pay

2. tmiw macrumors 68000

Considering that Apple Pay Cash is basically a Discover debit card, I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner.

3. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

They should do 1% back on the Apple Pay Cash card.

4. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Yay! That was my only card that wasn't on Apple Pay. I'm way more excited than I probably should be but this is awesome.

5. acgmph macrumors member

acgmph

Um, am I missing something? I have had this card in my Apple Pay wallet since I got the Xs.

I am running 12.1 beta, not sure if that's related

6. mthomas184 macrumors 6502

mthomas184

The officially announced it today but people on Reddit were able to add it within the last couple weeks so that would explain why you were able to

7. hiphopdan macrumors newbie

This is going to make all five people who have discover cards very happy.

8. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

I haven't read up on the Discover bank accounts. The way this phrase is worded sounds like the card gives you 1% back on normal physical card purchases but you also get 1% when using it with Apple Pay. Is this correct? And also is this the only rewards with using this Debit card? Meaning having money in the checking account will net you 0% yield as you would be getting the 1% on purchases?

"Cardholders will continue to receive 1% cashback on up to $3,000 in qualifying debit card purchases each month when paying with Apple Pay."

9. acgmph macrumors member

acgmph

Yes, we are :)

No, it's the same 1% back on all debit card purchases.

10. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

Make that six. I've had Discover Debit and checking for years and it works quite well.

Also, if you utilize the Cashback, which doesn't take much effort, you can earn extra $$$. I made $20 last month and I pay no fees for checking or debit.

11. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I see you rounded down from 43 million.

12. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

I didn't even know that Discover "Debit Cards" even existed. The vast majority of banks, including mine, offer you two types of debit cards: VISA or MasterCard.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2018 at 7:12 PM ---
    Maybe you've had the Discover credit card, which has supported ApplePay since forever. This article is strictly about the debit card version, and even I had no idea that the debit card existed (since 99.999999% of banks don't even offer it or acknowledge its existence).

13. MrJeffreyGee macrumors member

MrJeffreyGee

I dismissed this at first till I saw the 1% Cash Back, which is very intriguing.

14. tCdemon macrumors member

Can’t take Discover seriously...thank you Family Guy!

15. acgmph macrumors member

acgmph

https://www.discover.com/online-banking/checking/
    Maybe because you're Canadian and you think all American's don't know what they're talking about...

PS: I'm not American