discover noises when pressing back cover

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kevinf1990, Sep 15, 2014.

1. kevinf1990 macrumors member

I just recently bought a macbook pro retina (about 3 weeks ago). for the past few days I have noticed that if I press on the bottom cover, around the middle, there is a springy sound. does anyone know what that is? i don't have the scredrivers to open the bottom cover. Is this something normal?

another thing is, I noticed that the black hinge on the back of the laptop is not flush with the rest of the aluminum of the laptop, as a result, the screen is not aligned exactly with the keyboard of the laptop. maybe off by 1-2 mm.

anybody seen issues like these before or are they within spec?

2. BNHabs macrumors regular

I have both 'issues'

Both normal.. I have multiple MacBooks Retinas too.

3. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

I opened my 2012 15" rMBP up recently to reapply thermal paste (kinda sort of helped), and there are in fact some small push pin-like springs in there that contact with the bottom cover. I know the sound you're speaking of, and while I'm not sure why the springs are there, I can assume it's either for grounding the logic board or helping to prevent the bottom case from being deformed too easily. That's just my guess, hopefully others have a more thorough explanation.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

They're there for grounding.

5. kevinf1990 thread starter macrumors member

the thing that bothers me is that all the demo MacBooks at the apple store all have flush hinge and the display and keyboard seem to align perfectly together when closed.

would this be something easy i can fix myself? or will the genius bar people be able to do it?