Discover Now Lets Apple Pay Users Redeem Cashback Bonuses for Purchases

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 11, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Discover today announced the launch of a new Apple Pay feature that will let Discover cardholders use their Cashback Bonus rewards to pay for Apple Pay purchases.

To use the feature, customers make a qualifying purchase with Apple Pay using a Discover card, select "Tap for Details" in the Wallet app and then tap "Redeem" to add the Cashback Bonus as a statement credit in the amount of the purchase.

[​IMG]
    Using the new Cashback Bonus feature requires a Discover card added to Apple Pay, the Discover Mobile app, and a rewards balance higher than the purchase amount. Discover, like many credit card companies, offers points with qualifying purchases that can be redeemed for rewards or cash back bonuses.

Discover card users can already redeem their Cashback Bonus points for statement credits or as deposits into a bank account, so technically it was already possible to pay for Apple Pay purchases with Discover points.

It's not entirely clear what the benefit of the new feature is, but with the two-tap redemption method, it may be easier for users to redeem rewards using this method.

Qualifying purchases include those over $1 made with Apple Pay. Discover says that T-Mobile customers will not be able to use the feature unless connected to a Wi-Fi network.

Article Link: Discover Now Lets Apple Pay Users Redeem Cashback Bonuses for Purchases

2. tmiw macrumors 68000

I wonder what's different with T-Mobile's network that would make it a problem.

3. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

This where it would be good if MR actually did some journalism and answered the obvious question of why there is a restriction on T-Mobile. Please advise.

4. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Interesting feature. What they should do is give you extra points at certain retailers if you use Apple Pay.

Also, it’s very weird that it won’t work on T-Mobile. How is that even possible?

5. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

My guess is something to do with IPv6?

6. SoundJudgment macrumors member

SoundJudgment

Quick!! Someone alert John Legere to make a video and claim T-Mobile just released a New Cashback Agreement with Discover Card... ahead of everyone else!

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

The issue with using case back on another purchase is that you don't earn cashback on that purchase. You'd be better off to apply it as a statement credit, or towards a gift card with a bonus amount added to it.

8. samlikesmac macrumors member

...that’s the idea. They don’t want you to earn cash back when you could just keep the money in their ecosystem. Less they have to pay in the long run per transaction.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2017 ---
    They already kind of do this with discover deals. You earn 5% cash back in store at certain places quarterly throughout the year.

9. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

Back when Apple Pay first came out Discover gave 10% on all AP purchases for a few months. I sure do miss that.

10. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

The best and only sensible way to spend your Cashback Dollars is to redeem it for the gift cards on Discover's website. For example, you redeem $30 of your Cashback dollars and you get a $40 Starbucks gift card in return.

Any other way is daft.

11. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

This!

Never redeem your cashbacks on purchases! Just take it back as a statement credit!

12. samlikesmac macrumors member

Same

13. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Weird that T-Mobile is excluded from this feature unless on Wi-Fi. Hopefully a reason is provided soon.

I’ve actually been really disappointed with Discover’s implementation of ApplePay. I’ve constantly run into issues where some places’ terminals would not take ApplePay with my Discover card and worked just fine if I used MC/Visa.