Discovered something if you have 2 Watches

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MartyCan, Mar 25, 2016.

1. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

This probably should not have come as a surprise but we did notice something yesterday as my Wife and I both set up 2nd watches (Yes, it's basically a fashion accessory so we wanted more variety).

The new watch can be set up by restoring it from the most recent back-up of your existing watch of course. But until you put the new Watch on your wrist the Apps don't install on it. So after you first put it on you may notice the battery going down quickly. I suspect the same would be true if you have any playlists synced to your Watch too.

It's been mentioned on here a few times that when you have multiple watches paired to a phone all your move data does sync back and forth as you change from one to the other.

Anyway it's not a big thing but thought I would mention it. There must be others out here who have 2 or more Watches now and maybe you too have discovered something that might help others too. Please feel free to add your own discoveries, tips and tricks to the thread.

2. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

With 9.3 and Watch OS 2.2, I believe you can assign multiple watches to a single iOS device without the pair/unpair process.

3. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Correct and it works very nicely.

4. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I'm thinking of getting a gold or rose gold sport now that the price has dropped. I already have stainless steel. Is it now possible to just put one or the other watch on and go about your day, or do you have to go through an additional step to activate the watch of the day to your iPhone? Some of my mornings ar extremely hectic and I just want to be able to strap my watch on and hit the road.

5. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

It is indeed! You can pair two or more to one phone. The Phone knows which one you have on your wrist. No delay whatsoever and no steps needed (other than initially pairing the 2nd Watch). When you pair the 2nd Watch you even have the option to restore the most recent back up of your first watch to the 2nd so the screen and behaviour are identical.

6. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Oh no, now the temptation to get the second watch is worse. Thanks for the answer.

7. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I went ahead and got the second watch! I got it (38 mm gold Sport with ivory sport band) at Best Buy on sale for $249 and thanks to our points rewards it got discounted further to $226. :D

I remembered all your advice and instead of setting it up as a new watch I restored from a backup of my SS watch and it set up flawlessly. I can easily switch between the two. The battery dropped by 10% and has slowed down to the usual rate of decrease I'm used to.

I'm really thrilled to have a second watch. The Sport feels nice and light after my stainless steel. My SS is still going to be my usual daily driver because I'm rough on it and that thing is built like a tank and still looks great after taking a few hits here and there. I don't think the sport would survive my daily routine, but it's pretty for when I dress up and wear gold jewelry and carry a certain purse that matches it.

Thanks for creating this thread. You helped me get off the fence and I'm happy I did. And your info and advice was very helpful.

8. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

Had a SB from launch and have been putting a case on it and changing the strap for a black sport whilst at work.

Was hoping Apple would allow two watches to simultaneously be paired so I could keep my SB for best and buy a Sport for work and around the house.

With the public release of WOS 2.2 I yesterday I bought the Sport in Space Grey to do just that.

Now I want to put a case on it to prevent any marks and scratches, lol.
    My original plan was to not care about my 'work horse' watch and let it get marked up......but can't seem to let myself do it.

It will definitely get scratched up as the case I use on the SB shows light damage and the Pebble watch I used before is covered in scratches and scrapes.

The whole idea getting a 2nd watch was to put an end to having to regularly changing the strap & putting a case on the SB and using the Sport carefree without a bulky/ugly case.

Perhaps if I'd have bought a 2nd hand non-mint Sport I'd have been ok, but when it's brand new I don't want to damage it. Aaarrrgghh!!!
    o_O

9. BSben macrumors 6502a

When you add a 2nd Watch, do you have to set up Apple Pay again, or does it get copied across? Setting up Apple Pay is easy enough, but I am getting fed up getting every time a letter from every bank for every card.

10. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

11. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Since I was not setting up my second watch as new, but doing a restore from backup of my existing watch, all I had to do was input my security code that's printed on my credit card.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 27, 2016 ---
    I can empathize. The funny thing is my far more expensive stainless steel is going to be my workhorse because with the sapphire crystal and the buff -able silver finish, it can take a heck of a beating and look great. And I haven't even buffed scuffs off of it yet. They're not easy to see, anyway. The crystal should be scratched and ugly if it were anything but sapphire. It is pristine. I chose well for my first and what was supposed to be my only Apple Watch, given that I do a lot of manual labor. I also have this watch on Apple Care.

But my gold sport does feel lighter and more fragile and is not covered under Apple Care. I don't know yet if it is so much more fragile but, I find myself tempted to put a bumper and a film on it, too. I'm not going to, but the temptation is there. I do like wearing it better. It's more comfortable than my stainless steel watch. It's my "going out and relaxing" watch.

12. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

I think I would have preferred a stainless steel watch for it's resilience, but at £289.99 the Sport was already a bit of an extravagance for a 2nd Apple Watch for work, etc.

Might just put the Spigen Tough Armor case on it, at least I won't have to take it off anymore.
    (Got a Spigen Rugged Armor on it at the mo, not quite as bulky as the Tough but has no screen protection).

Would love to just keep it naked, I'll see how I feel when back at work Tuesday.

13. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Glad I helped! Thanks for your kind words.

In Canada Amex is the only card that has enabled ApplePay and I don't have one so not sure about that. But everything else in my "Wallet" app was there including my Starbucks card and others.

14. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

Yeah, my two cards were already there, just had to type in the rear security number then the the code that they texted.

15. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

That sounds awesome.

The dream to have a 2nd gen. black SS along with my 1st gen generic SS will become true soon.

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I kind of want the gold sport as a second watch to my original stainless. I think the gold would look killer with my space black link bracelet.

17. nicho macrumors 68000

As long as you have an iPhone 6 or 6S, you should be able to do that even from setting up a watch as new if those cards are set up in the iPhones Apple Pay. I don't think restoring from the backup is actually related to that.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 27, 2016 ---
    Has anyone else had a problem with activity achievements? I wore my second watch yesterday and for some reason got a "new move goal achieved" award notification at about 9.30pm. I hadn't even achieved my move goal that day yet, and when I check the phone app it's dated Wednesday, 4 days earlier.

I also completed my move goal every day last week but didn't get the weekly achievement. :(

18. OCDMacGeek macrumors 6502a

OCDMacGeek

That's a combo I really want to see pictures of.