Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
It was good while it lasted...Discovery GO used to be an app that combined all of Discovery's channels. Now Discovery has has separated the channels and created individual apps for each channel. So instead of one single combined app, there's now 9 individual apps (oh joy):
-Discovery GO
-TLC GO
-Animal Planet GO
-Investigation Discovery GO
-Science Channel GO
-Discovery Life GO (no tvOS app yet)
-Velocity GO (no tvOS app yet)
-AHC GO (no tvOS app yet)
-Destination America GO (no tvOS app yet)

So if you watch any of the four channels that don't have tvOS apps yet (Discovery Life, Velocity, AHC, or Destination America), you'll need to airplay the IOS app to the Apple TV since the content and live streams of those channels have been removed from the Discovery GO tvOS app. You'll need to do this until Discovery gets around to creating tvOS apps for those channels.

Reactions: boston04and07

bigpatky

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
Are there additional sign-in providers? I know previously, it was VERY sparse. I had access to Dish, Xfinity, and Vue, and none of the three worked which is very rare when it comes to these tv apps.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'm curious that since they split the apps out individually if they have added Xfinity/Verizon authentication support. This was my main gripe behind the Discovery Go app. I would have loved to install it, but they did not support either of the big cable companies.

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
I'm curious that since they split the apps out individually if they have added Xfinity/Verizon authentication support. This was my main gripe behind the Discovery Go app. I would have loved to install it, but they did not support either of the big cable companies.
They have, and apparently DirecTV is coming soon. Now if only they'd add UVerse...

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
Are there additional sign-in providers? I know previously, it was VERY sparse. I had access to Dish, Xfinity, and Vue, and none of the three worked which is very rare when it comes to these tv apps.

Vue definitely works. That's what I use. The only app now that doesn't support Vue is Epix (which doesn't have a tvOS app anyways). In fact, this is the main reason I subscribe to Vue. Just to get access to all the apps for a cheap price. I don't know of any cable/satellite/streaming service that can claim their login credentials will work with 99.9% of the apps besides Vue.

Last edited:

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Vue definitely works. That's what I use. The only app now that doesn't support Vue is Epix (which doesn't have a tvOS app anyways). In fact, this is the main reason I subscribe to Vue. Just to get access to all the apps for a cheap price. I don't know of any cable/satellite/streaming service that can claim their login credentials will work with 99.9% of the apps besides Vue.
Do you know if they support the single sign-on in the tvOS 10 BETA? To be clear I am not testing tvOS 10 BETA so not sure the status of the single sign-on and if it works at all yet with anyone.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008

Xfinity is there now (finally) on the five Apple TV apps and their iOS/web counterparts. It's working great for me.

Reactions: nburwell
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.