Discrete GPU for broadwell refresh

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coreynuro, Dec 26, 2014.

1. coreynuro macrumors newbie

Currently have a 13" rMBP but I need some more graphics power that it currently provides. I'm planning on upgrading to a 15" once the refresh hits but haven't heard many rumors on what discrete GPU is likely for the high end model. Any ideas or GPU's out that currently fit the profile for the next refresh?

2. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

If it's nVidia, you're probably looking at a 970M or 980M ~
    I have not been keeping up with the mobile graphics cards as of late so this is pure speculation.

Apple seems to be going back on an AMD trend, though, so I'd expect something similar to what is in the newest iMac.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

No No No. Just look at the past: 650M, 750M. Which means either 850M or 950M (provided a 950M will be released at some point). The rMBP design doesn't allow for enough cooling for a 100W TDP card like the 970M or 980M.

Cards with a TDP below 45W are possible - the 850M is the most likely NVidia candidate. For AMD/Radeon it is less clear. M265x would work, maybe by summer 2015 there is a M365x...

4. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

Cool! Thanks for the correction; it's been a while since I looked at the mobile GPUs ~ my last was a MBA with nVidua 320M ~ >////<

But it does feels lately that Apple has an affinity for the inbuilt Intel GPU or AMD's offerings. I'm personally a bigger fan of nVidia so I hope that's the route they go!

5. coreynuro thread starter macrumors newbie

Has nvidia announced a 950m yet and if so any details on the specs?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't be at all shocked if apple dropped the discrete GPU completely at this stage. They limited it to the high end model right now, so it wouldn't be much of a push for them to drop it completely.

7. G-Force macrumors 6502a

I don't think they will drop it. They will need a model with dedicated graphics just to push customers who want dedicated graphics to a more expensive model. Iris Pro won't cut it for everyone.

I would say a GTX 850M with GDDR5. Or if available at that time, 950M.