Discrete GPU in the 2010 MBP refresh

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Theemim, May 4, 2010.

1. Theemim macrumors newbie

I'm going to college next year and was planning on getting the i7 15" but i have a (probably silly) question about the possibility of modding it later. I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to change the discrete video card on the MBP. I know Apple obviously doesn't endorse this (or any) mod, but I'm just thinking about the future; I want this computer to last me at least the four years of undergrad, and that would be an easier task if one day I could upgrade just the video card, I thought maybe since it has a non-integrated card with this refresh that this could be possible, I wouldn't want to do this soon, but maybe in two years or so when 512MB is starting to feel small for a GPU. Even if it's not possible to do this the computer should be able to last me for four years right?

Thanks for any input

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You won't be able to switch out the chip anyway, it's soldered onto the logic board. On that note there isn't any discrete video "card" to switch out in the first place.

3. realz macrumors member

Simple answer is no... Unless you are an electronics genius.
    However, I have no doubts that 2010 MBP will easily last 4 years with decent performance.

4. Theemim thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks, I guess now it's time to tell my dad I want a $2k mac instead of a $700 pc :rolleyes:

5. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

The computer itself will easily offer decent performance in 4+ years, but the GPU is already outdated and on the low end ;). That said, as long as the OP doesn't plan on playing games in high res or with high detail settings, it will be just fine.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Tell him to think of it this way: he can either spend $700 for a new PC now, plus $350 for upgrade parts in a year, then probably another $700 for a new PC two years down the line, plus another $350 parts in upgrades your senior year, and then when you graduate it'll be time to upgrade the whole thing again.

Or, he can spend $2000 now and in four years, you'll still have a mac that's still worth something in resale value when it's time for you to upgrade.

The MacBook Pros from 3 and 4 years ago are no slouches. I probably wouldn't have upgraded from my 3 year old MBP if I hadn't been forced to.

7. vant macrumors 65816

Or you can just ask him for a $950 MB instead of a $700 PC. You know, since he trades his time for money.

8. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Not a bad idea actually. If the OP can do without the larger screen, the 13" pro is still pretty good in terms of performance. Plus let's face it, you're not buying a Mac for gaming, so the 320m would likely be plenty.

Heck, if you were worried about gaming, you could built a gaming pc AND buy a 13" macbook for less than the 15" MBP.

9. tekmoe macrumors 68000

There are people who are still running PowerBooks with no issues at all. It all depends on your needs. Worst case scenario, if your 15" i7 isn't cutting it in the next year or two, simply sell it (great resale value on these macs) and upgrade to the latest and greatest.