Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhamNuwen

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2013
No pb, I will keep you up to date.
BTW, all works now. I just had to remove ATY_INIT from the Extensions folder (useless actually).
All boots fine, except that I have a ghost display attached to the GMA 950 even if no cable plugged into it. I tried "Detect Displays" but it did not change anything. No big deal, just illogical.

And finally, 10.10.1 does not want to install, but I have been told to boot on recovery and repair permissions. So still some work to do !

BR

I'm not sure about the update problem (i'm still running Mountain Lion for the moment), but I may have a somewhat-solution to the non-existent display problem. I had the same problem when running ML on my Macbook-turned-MacTower.

I eventually came upon a program called SwitchResX that allowed me to disable the non-display which was actually necessary to get smooth performance out of the 5670 in the PCIe 1x slot (I would get fps drops in 3D-scenes and other things when moving the mouse, something was being software-rendered).

I'm not sure how effective this will be as (the reason I haven't upgraded to 10.9 and then 10.10 yet) Apple changed the way OS X handles displays and SwitchResX has trouble actually disabling displays (one of the questions on its FAQ deals with this too).

If you do give it a try, give me a shout too. I've been wondering how well it works.

tetsuoshima01

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2015
Hello! I have applied a HD4650 1gb (Sapphire) to a mac mini 1,1 (soon to be 2,1) running 10.6.8 via a DIY mini-pcie/pciex1/x16 adapter setup, not ATX power yet but useing two switchable 5/12v adapters. For NVidia cards, I used a GTS250 on the x1 slot (adapted to x16) on a 'Mac Pro'. The card showed up in system profiler (10.9.4) normally, yielded roughly 1/3 performance of (nearly equivalent card) 9800GTX+ in x16 slot. With nVidia kexts, we must add device/vendor ID in extension for it to activate card on boot. If that fails, enabler kexts could be a possibilty for video output.

almurphy556

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2015
Hello! I have applied a HD4650 1gb (Sapphire) to a mac mini 1,1 (soon to be 2,1) running 10.6.8 via a DIY mini-pcie/pciex1/x16 adapter setup, not ATX power yet but useing two switchable 5/12v adapters. For NVidia cards, I used a GTS250 on the x1 slot (adapted to x16) on a 'Mac Pro'. The card showed up in system profiler (10.9.4) normally, yielded roughly 1/3 performance of (nearly equivalent card) 9800GTX+ in x16 slot. With nVidia kexts, we must add device/vendor ID in extension for it to activate card on boot. If that fails, enabler kexts could be a possibilty for video output.

Sorry, I know this is an old thread. But how did you manage this, can you give any more info? I've been trying to attempt this myself with the same setup. Mini-PCIe to PCIe X1 and external PSU. The graphics card shows in system reports, under Graphics/displays but no kexts are loaded.

I'm using an old iMac5,1 with macpostfactor to install Mountain Lion. Thanks.

Edit:
Should have mentioned I was using a HD 4830 (Sapphire)

Fred57

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2013
Paris
Sorry, I know this is an old thread. But how did you manage this, can you give any more info? I've been trying to attempt this myself with the same setup. Mini-PCIe to PCIe X1 and external PSU. The graphics card shows in system reports, under Graphics/displays but no kexts are loaded.

I'm using an old iMac5,1 with macpostfactor to install Mountain Lion. Thanks.

Edit:
Should have mentioned I was using a HD 4830 (Sapphire)

Hi,
Look into your system report and search for something like

Capture d’écran 2015-08-31 à 01.32.16.png
(manufacturer and model number)

Look for AMD4800Controller in your System/Library/Extensions and edit it with something like TextWrangler or Nano in Terminal. Show the package Content, look for Info.plist, line IOPCIMatch. Add your concatenated model number to the list. Save.

Codesign it (look in other threads) and inject it with Kext Utility. Your are done.

BTW, this is for Yosemite, go for SFOTT to get 10.10.5 installed and running.

Best

Note: Careful then with Bootcamp if you have it installed. It works with my GMA950, but I did not succeed (yet) to make it it work with the discrete graphic card (BSOD). And by the way, Bootcamp is is death trap with HFS+. I just killed one 1T drive because of the Microsoft reserved / Basic data reformatting when assigning a "letter" for an HFS drive. No way to go back. Data is lost. Hurray.

Reactions: almurphy556

almurphy556

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2015
Hi,
Look into your system report and search for something like

View attachment 578195 (manufacturer and model number)

Look for AMD4800Controller in your System/Library/Extensions and edit it with something like TextWrangler or Nano in Terminal. Show the package Content, look for Info.plist, line IOPCIMatch. Add your concatenated model number to the list. Save.

Codesign it (look in other threads) and inject it with Kext Utility. Your are done.

BTW, this is for Yosemite, go for SFOTT to get 10.10.5 installed and running.

Best

Note: Careful then with Bootcamp if you have it installed. It works with my GMA950, but I did not succeed (yet) to make it it work with the discrete graphic card (BSOD). And by the way, Bootcamp is is death trap with HFS+. I just killed one 1T drive because of the Microsoft reserved / Basic data reformatting when assigning a "letter" for an HFS drive. No way to go back. Data is lost. Hurray.

Hi Fred57

Thank you for the reply and for the help.

I have installed Yosemite 10.10.5 with the method you recommended and it worked flawlessly.

My graphics card (HD 4830) was not recognised in system reports. I tired editing the info.plist but this didn't seem to help.
I searched for hours and how to "codesign" the kext but couldn't work out how to do it so I think I was able to disable code signing with the following terminal command: sudo nvram boot-args=kext-dev-mode=1
I found a 64bit version of ATY_init and now the card is showing in system report. Please see attached. There is no video output and I also noticed that system reports isn't reporting the memory size of the graphics card.

if you are able to offer any help, I would be very grateful.

Regards,

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 21.14.46.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 21.14.46.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 131

Fred57

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2013
Paris
Hi Fred57

I have installed Yosemite 10.10.5 with the method you recommended and it worked flawlessly.

My graphics card (HD 4830) was not recognised in system reports. I tired editing the info.plist but this didn't seem to help.
I searched for hours and how to "codesign" the kext but couldn't work out how to do it so I think I was able to disable code signing with the following terminal command: sudo nvram boot-args=kext-dev-mode=1
I found a 64bit version of ATY_init and now the card is showing in system report. Please see attached. There is no video output and I also noticed that system reports isn't reporting the memory size of the graphics card.

Regards,

Hi
Hi Fred57

Regards,

Hello,

Look here:
http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...experience-in-hacking-the-codesigning-on-os-x

Follow the same process with the AMD Kext.
Then inject the modified & signed Kext into the Extensions folder using Kext Utility.

I do not believe ATY_INI is helpful anymore since Mavericks.

On my side, Bootcamp is now fully operational with the Discrete graphic card. I just had to deactivate the Intel driver in the display manager. No more BSOD.

Fred57

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2013
Paris
I'm not sure about the update problem (i'm still running Mountain Lion for the moment), but I may have a somewhat-solution to the non-existent display problem. I had the same problem when running ML on my Macbook-turned-MacTower.

I eventually came upon a program called SwitchResX that allowed me to disable the non-display which was actually necessary to get smooth performance out of the 5670 in the PCIe 1x slot (I would get fps drops in 3D-scenes and other things when moving the mouse, something was being software-rendered).

I'm not sure how effective this will be as (the reason I haven't upgraded to 10.9 and then 10.10 yet) Apple changed the way OS X handles displays and SwitchResX has trouble actually disabling displays (one of the questions on its FAQ deals with this too).

If you do give it a try, give me a shout too. I've been wondering how well it works.

I had the opportunity to try SwitchResX. It does not manage to erase the phantom display unfortunately. Quite clear that in the FAQs actually that it would not, but it was worth a try. Thanks.

unrealSpeedy

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2015
Hey guys!

I'm really interested in this topic and thank you for your information posted over the past 9 sites :)
It helps me a lot till here.

I have a 2006 Mac Mini running Yosemite (10.10.5) with upgraded Processor and an SSD. The System is stable an usable like a charme.
Only the lack of hardware Acceleration caused by the 950GMA Graphics (no 64bit-Driver) is still disappointing.

Now I have found this Thread and I will give it a try to get a discrete graphics card working.

But for now I have some questions:
1) If I would buy a new graphics card, which one you would recommend (drivers etc)?
2) Is it possible to run a passive and low powered graphics card like the HD5450 without an external power supply? Maybe over the pcie 1x or by using an serial-ata power-cable? (maybe the one from the superdrive?)

Thank you very much!

Fred57

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2013
Paris
Hey guys!

I'm really interested in this topic and thank you for your information posted over the past 9 sites :)
It helps me a lot till here.

I have a 2006 Mac Mini running Yosemite (10.10.5) with upgraded Processor and an SSD. The System is stable an usable like a charme.
Only the lack of hardware Acceleration caused by the 950GMA Graphics (no 64bit-Driver) is still disappointing.

Now I have found this Thread and I will give it a try to get a discrete graphics card working.

But for now I have some questions:
1) If I would buy a new graphics card, which one you would recommend (drivers etc)?
2) Is it possible to run a passive and low powered graphics card like the HD5450 without an external power supply? Maybe over the pcie 1x or by using an serial-ata power-cable? (maybe the one from the superdrive?)

Thank you very much!

Considering the bandwidth limits coming from the mini PCIe connector, there is no need to buy a potent graphic card. I have a 4850 and it is really capped by X1 lane.
As for external PSU, yes, it is needed. The Mac and the PCIe connector do not have enough juice to make it run without more power. Nevertheless, I did not use the serial Ata but I guess it is not enough. 400 watts high recommended for 5xxx card

Cortlan

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2017
So, what are the options for powering a gpu internallyon an 07 mini? I've got a gt710 that only consumes 25 watts, so I'm hoping I can siphon like 2amps off a 12v rail somewhere. I've done some searching, and I know the mini pcie port doesn't have any 12v lines, and neither does the sata power for the super drive. The card is just small enough to fit where the cd drive goes, so if I can just figure out how to power it internally, I won't have to drill a hole in the case and feed in an extra cable.

Edit: I shoul probably worry about cramming it into the case after I get it all working. At the moment, i have it all hooked up and splayed out across my desk. I can get it to display the Windows splash screen or the safe mode selection screen on the discrete card before everything goes black. I feel like I'm missing something, do I need to unplug the Dvi cable out of the Mac, or install special drivers?

Last edited:

Cortlan

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2017
Hey guys!

Thank you very much!

I'm fairly certain the super drive doesn't have 12v power since it uses the small sata power cable meant for laptops. And you need 12v from somewhere because mini pcie (the slot the airport card uses) doesn't have 12v lines...

Cortlan

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2017
AARRRRGGG!! I'm soooo close! i've got everything hooked up and powered, and it's almost working. When i boot up, it chimes, and then puts up the windows 10 logo splash screen, then the little dots make a loop and a half, and the screen goes black. not black like the cable is disconnected. normally, when the gpu isn't connected, the login screen would be displayed at this point, but it is just black, and even if i let it sit for a few minutes, nothing happens.

What am i doing wrong here? anyone have any advice?

Reactions: George Dawes

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Just a guess: Could it be that the login screen is only displayed on the other monitor port?

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
it's a known problem

my mini won't connect to my tv and i have to hard restart it every few days

might be the sw , might be the intel chip

who knows ?

next mac i get will be an imac def...

Cortlan

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2017
Just a guess: Could it be that the login screen is only displayed on the other monitor port?

I don't think so. I tried everything but the hdmi, and i'll try that tomorrow. Normally, it chimes when it loads the windows screen, and it hasn't done that with the discrete card installed. Though, i suppose, it could be playing it through the hdmi... i'll have to check that.

gvd77

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2023
Hi there,

This idea randomly came to me and I found this thread. Did anyone get this to work?
I have found some devices that be of help like this:

I recently found out that Xserves actually used MXM graphics cards in a recent Linus Tech Tips video, I wonder if the driver for cards like that are already embedded in macOS or out there somewhere?

I might give this kind of thing a go myself, I have a Mac mini Intel 1.66Ghz, I would like to do the CPU upgrade first off and may try the graphics upgrade.

Anyway have a good one :)

Last edited:

gvd77

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2023
Hi there,

This idea randomly came to me and I found this thread. Did anyone get this to work?
I have found some devices that be of help like this:

I recently found out that Xserves actually used MXM graphics cards in a recent Linus Tech Tips video, I wonder if the driver for cards like that are already embedded in macOS or out there somewhere?

I might give this kind of thing a go myself, I have a Mac mini Intel 1.66Ghz, I would like to do the CPU upgrade first off and may try the graphics upgrade.

Anyway have a good one :)
actually forget this post, those cards have no video out ports on them and would be no good for a Mini.
Instead I found this that can be purchased with configurable port and slot combinations:

or something like this:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.